Does anyone set eggs by the moon?

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
Couple of BYC members already asked me what is setting eggs by the moon? But if your the younger generation you might not know what it is course im not old now lol but my mom was born and raised on 300 acres of farmland with her family out in the boonies and she said thats how they set all their broody hens on eggs was by the moon

Its in THE OLD FARMERS ALMANAC in the back pages in ASTROLOGY it was on page 230 this year and it has a list of what the moon is in and the signs like cancer,pisces,scorpio ect,ect and it said this year that chicks born under a waxing moon in the fruitful signs of cancer,pisces,scorpio are healthier and mature faster and to find the best hatch day you look at the list for those signs and you count back 21 days i wrote down all the best hatch days on my chick logbook and there is 20 good hatch days left this year the next months good days to set is July 7&8 ,14&15,23&24 and last day is July 26 i hatch out anywhere from 2 to 4 times a month and i only have two incubators but its good on alot of the days you set eggs thats also sometimes a day you take eggs out of the turner and put them on the wire so far i have hatched out 40 chicks my mom also uses the THE OLD FARMERS ALMANAC to see what is the best days to PLANT now some might think its stupid to set by the moon but this is how the old farmers use to do it back then and still do

When i was first hatching out eggs i had a horrible hatch rate i was only hatching out 5 everytime out of 40 eggs and finally i got tired of it and i told mom thats it im going to start setting my eggs by the moon and when i did my hatch rate jumped to 50% i once had 10 chicks hatch out on day 20 and then 7 on day 21 that was my first real good hatch I WAS SOOO HAPPY!!

And if anyone cant find the almanac in your stores then if you want i can PM you the days to set eggs we brought ours from TSC just about any feed store should sell the almanac and if you buy it make sure it says THE OLD FARMERS ALMANAC not the THE FARMERS ALMANAC there is two of them

I always set eggs by the moon..usually have very close to a 100% hatch rate.. this last batch though were shipped eggs.. so i was at the mercy of the post office.. and I'm also using a new bator.. so it's going to be interesting to see what happens since I am doing most things differently this time.

The reason I set by the moon is out of habit.. it's the way I was taught to set eggs back in the 60's.. it seemed to work well.. and I figured if it ain't broke.. don't try to fix it!

Huh! That's really interesting. I know of biodynamics for farming but it would make sense for birthing and livestock as well! I think I just may have to give that a go!

I have always wondered this... there are days to cut your hair and make it grow faster days that will slow hair growth if cut etc.... why not setting days. Those days would be for 21 day hatchign birds though.... right? So a bird with shorter or longer hatch times would be a different set of days?

Quote:
Yeah if you mean like quail,pheasant,turkey,duck,goose and guinea then yeah i would have to look for a good hatch day and count so many days back to see what bird would be best suited for that day

Last edited:
Would be a fun eggsperiment. always down for those
smile.png

One of these days I want to test he egg color and qualities with moon cycles.... life handed me a hand full so I stopped mid process but I do want to get back to it.

I was raised on a farm to plant our garden by the moon. We never made it into the hatching part, but it may well make a difference. I mean, the moon controls the huge pacific ocean! It ought to control a little egg!!

Back
Top Bottom