Does anyone ship hatching eggs to Hawaii?

Howzit!

As the only person answering who actually lives in Hawaii and has repeated dealings with the Ag Dept., hereʻs the skinny. Eggs can be imported, but only from certified hatcheries with their own Stateʻs phyto-sanitary certificate attached. They are usually shipped by Priority Mail without problem. Likewise, day old chicks come in all the time. I order from Ideal, but my neighbor has had good luck with Murray McMurray. With hatching eggs costing almost as much as chicks, Iʻd go with the chicks. BTW, for 25 chicks from Ideal, the total shipping, handling, phyto cert. fee, etc., all comes to about $15 total. A real bargain.

Aloha

The story about where they came from is that early Polynesians and Europeans brought chickens to Kauai. The Filipinos brought the brightly colored fighting cocks, and Walla, the wild chickens. It is said that with Hurricane ‘Iniki, the domestic chickens and fighting roosters were freed from their cages to roam and multiply. On a recent trip to Tahiti, the same wild chickens were everywhere as well, so I question this theory. But why so many??

The answer lies with the feral cat population which is the skinniest I have ever seen in the world. With chicks running right in front of them, the cats seem to prefer to eat cane toads which have a toxin in their skins that cause the cats to lose their appetite. This is a variant of the South Beach Diet that seems to work for the chicken population, but those poor cats!

Well I need to eat some can toads myself then!
lol.png

~Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom