Does anyone show their Peafowl?

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
I have not ever seen Peafowl in a show and wondered if this is only for the UPA or do they put them in other shows with the APA?
Has anyone on here shown theirs?
What is one like? Would it be like an APA show or not?

Just wondering since I could never imagine hauling mine anywhere!

There is no "standard" for peafowl,so it's really hard to choose one over another if two like birds was shown or pitted against each other.there is no "ideal" specimen or methods in place to "critique" a peafowl.

There is no "standard" for peafowl,so it's really hard to choose one over another if two like birds was shown or pitted against each other.there is no "ideal" specimen or methods in place to "critique" a peafowl.
Interesting... As popular as they are, seems like there would be a standard.

True, with no standard, it would be difficult to hold such an event. However, wouldn't it be grand for a display of peafowl - I mean no judging, but an event where breeders can display their finest all in one place (a limit to one bird per colour and their individual patterns of course). This way, many more people could actually see the differences between all the peafowl without having to visit multiple farms. I know you could go to Legg's, but a close-up of all colours in a shipping sized cage/ predetermined sized cage would educate a lot of people on what is actually what. You would still need experts to certify the colour and colour patterns, but it would be amazing.....

This is most interesting. I am hoping to get a membership to the UPA for Christmas but so far had not found any info on a Peafowl SOP. I keep trying to learn more and more about these awesome creatures. There doesn't seem to be as much info as I had hoped for out there. A lot of it is so generalized that it could apply to most anything.
I am sure there is a book that has good info in it but that is also on my wish list.

Westknollamy,
There are tons of stuff on this sit about Peas, you just have to read it and ask questions on here there are plenty of experienced owners here and we all help each other ...There is no more valuable place than this, this forum keeps going every single day, there are rarely laps in days that there is not someone posting something about peas here,i have yet to find any website that can say the same here in the US

Check out the major book stores like books-a-million i say several nice books on peafowl.

PS the best way to learn about peas is to raise some up and care for them, mine are free ranged so i get to watch them in a more natural setting i have found i love them very much and am learning about them and understanding why they do what they do, mine are very tame, i never tried to handle them or pet them but in their own good time they accepted the fact that i was just a big goof-fee looking pea too
lau.gif
so now we go on walk abouts and when they spot a intruding bird they honk and look for me , off we go with the bottle rockets to run off the intruder they learned that i am their protector just like the dogs here.

Yes! I am finding a lot of great info on here! It is a lot to get through with all the posts, too.
Everyone's different experiences and set ups has been wonderfully appreciated and helpful.
But as I am finding, it takes a lot of reading and weeding through posts to get what I am looking for but mean time I am learning other things that I had not thought of yet.
I had not read anything about exhibiting peafowl and that is why I asked about it.

Thank you all!

PS the best way to learn about peas is to raise some up and care for them, mine are free ranged so i get to watch them in a more natural setting i have found i love them very much and am learning about them and understanding why they do what they do, mine are very tame, i never tried to handle them or pet them but in their own good time they accepted the fact that i was just a big goof-fee looking pea too
lau.gif
so now we go on walk abouts and when they spot a intruding bird they honk and look for me , off we go with the bottle rockets to run off the intruder they learned that i am their protector just like the dogs here.

I do enjoy all your photos and posts, zazouse! That is why I named one of my fellas just that! Of course, he is most flashy and handsome to me.
I still haven't had the chance to bring them home but we are working hard to try and get the pens done. It is slow going with only one day a week dedicated to it. However, I have some really awesome friends that have been helping me in trade of a pair that was given to me.
So far the man has given me 2 silver pied pairs, an Opal pair, a Bronze pair and a Cameo pair. I offered the Opals to my friend as they are so lovely. I wish I was bringing those home but can enjoy them through her or get eggs later.

I am glad to hear you say you use bottle rockets. I have thought that might be a good way to go, too. However, my Great Pyr would probably never chase another fox if I shot one near her while she chases them off. She is afraid of gun shots.....and storms.....and men....

I do enjoy all your photos and posts, zazouse! That is why I named one of my fellas just that! Of course, he is most flashy and handsome to me.
I still haven't had the chance to bring them home but we are working hard to try and get the pens done. It is slow going with only one day a week dedicated to it. However, I have some really awesome friends that have been helping me in trade of a pair that was given to me.
So far the man has given me 2 silver pied pairs, an Opal pair, a Bronze pair and a Cameo pair. I offered the Opals to my friend as they are so lovely. I wish I was bringing those home but can enjoy them through her or get eggs later.

I am glad to hear you say you use bottle rockets. I have thought that might be a good way to go, too. However, my Great Pyr would probably never chase another fox if I shot one near her while she chases them off. She is afraid of gun shots.....and storms.....and men....
My dogs take care of the critters that are on the ground and i take care of the ones in the air comming into the safe zone, i can't shoot them towards the ground ther are to many woods with dry needles and leaves a very good way to start a fire but i will use a roman candle if i think there has been something lerking just outside the safe zone, they make a very big bang like 10 times.
hide.gif

You are right not to shoot around your dog while in persuit, they will stop persuit for good if you keep doing it. that is how i stopped one of my dogs from chasing my daughters car down the drive, blasted one over their head

Back
Top Bottom