Does anyone toss feed on the ground?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Does anyone ever toss feed crumbles on the ground for their chickens?

My girls have a big feeder but they just don't show much interest in it. The level goes down so slow. So I put a scoop into their treat bowl and that seems to be way more interesting to them. (Silly girls, it's the same stuff.) And one likes to root around in it kicking it all over the ground. The others seem to be most interested in eating what's on the ground.

So I'm wondering if I should toss a handful of feed around their run once in a while to give them something to scratch at. Or is that a bad idea?

I'm in CA and we don't get rain in the summer so I'm not worried about it getting wet and molding. And I'd stop in October before the rain comes in November and switch over to scratch or BOSS.

Yes, I do sometimes but not often. I also toss leftover or fruits and vegetables on the ground as well. My neighbor who is the local fruit and vegetable man, tosses fruit and vegetables over the fence at the end of the day. I haven't had any problems with tossing stuff on the ground. They love it!!! They will immediately snag their piece and run to whatever corner they want to to get away from the rest. It eventually gets on the ground either way.

Last edited:
I throw their homemade scratch in the run every morning.
smile.png
. I keep the feed inside the feeder.

Hmmm, I just have some strange chickens. Sounds like everyone puts the feed in the feeder and other stuff on the ground.

I might try a handful. What's the harm?

My chickens are the same. I hardly ever see them eating from the feeder. They'd much rather eat off the ground. It's sort of annoying and messy but I figure if they like it that way I'm not going to fight it. My hubby tosses handfuls of feed at them when he goes to visit. We have ducks too and tossing the feed seems to give the chickens a little treat as the ducks cannot be bothered to pick up tiny morsels like the chickens do.

Okay, so there are other chickens who prefer to eat off the ground. I'm going to try it and see what they do. Maybe I'll do it Saturday when I'm around and I can watch to see if they really go for it or not. But it sounds like there's no issue w/ doing this.

I wish they'd eat from the feeder. It's less messy that way. But hey, if that's what makes their lives interesting, hunting for their food on the ground, who am I to criticize.

Back
Top Bottom