1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone use egg wash on their hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 15, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've read that some embryonic and early chick deaths are due to bacteria and whatnot on the shell of the egg? I've been thinking of getting egg wash to use on the eggs I set in my own incubator.

Please respond with any experiences you have with using egg wash, commercial or homemade [​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I don't wash my eggs before incubation, this takes off the bloom (a protective coating). But I don't set dirty eggs either. If there is a small amount of dirt on an egg, I just pick it off. Some people that wash eggs have asked me why their hatch rate is low, I tell them it was because they washed their eggs. Just my .02. We never washed the eggs when we were setting thousands at a time commerically.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dont wash either. But I do clean them=spot clean..If there is a spot where it wont just flick off I take a washcloth theat has a little water on it and spot clean.

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have heard of some using Oxine to wash their eggs. But, I have never used it on hatching eggs, I use it for sterilizing feeders, waterers and pens.

5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
  6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    The last two eggs that went bad on me were also the dirtiest. I tried to get the 'stuff' off without actually washing them with fine emery cloth and spot cleaning like I normally do but that stuff was really stuck this time so I had to leave it. They may have just been bad or infertile anyways. I know some universities and such do wash thier eggs but I don't know what they use. I have read that it is okay to wash the eggs as long as you do not use cold water because cold water will cause the pores of the eggs to contract and draw the bacteria into the egg.

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I only hatch clean eggs.

However, I will say that last year I had a broody hen that pooped all over her eggs. It was absolutely the smelliest more awful stinky mess you ever saw.

I couldn't leave them that way, so I carefully rinsed them off in clear, warm water, being careful not to hold them under the water, not wanting to drown the babies.

These were fairly expensive eggs that I had sent for.

They all hatched.

Catherine

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not talking about literally washing the eggs, there is a solution that you can get to dip the eggs in that kills any bacteria on the eggs. I'm just wondering if it would help. I do get a lot of late embryo, and some early chick deaths, so that's why I'm asking. Just wondering if the egg wash (if you'd google it, you would see it is not meant to scrub the egg) would help.

ETA: This would be done on visibly clean eggs, not eggs dug out of the muck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I'd like to know if it works as well. I have never tried any egg washes but if it worked, I would love to try it. I hate setting dirty eggs in my incubator and I will wash mine if they are dirty with just water. I believe the "bloom" theory to be ...well crap since I have had too many eggs that I have washed hatch. Still I would love to have a wash that killed the bacteria.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I usually dip or spray and wipe down the eggs before putting them in the incubator. I use the brinsea incubation disinfectant. I also mist down my chicken eggs weekly with the stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by