Does anyone use old pine shavings as mulch around trees or walkways?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JenMT, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Should I just compost it to be safe and not burn my trees or will it be okay?

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    We put ours around fruit trees. grape vines etc. straight from the coop

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you don't go berzerk with it, and the trees are large and well-established, it'll be fine.

I wouldn't put more than about a 3" depth of it down, especially not if you're going to be mulching a *large* circle rather than just around the trunk... not so much b/c of nitrogen issues as because you do not want to smother/droughtify (I suppose that's not really a word [​IMG]) the tree's roots by a thick layer of shavings that pack down and intercept rain.

Pat

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I even use it around my rose bushes, lilac, grape vines, crab apple trees without problems.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I put it on top of some seeds I am growing indoors to see what would happen. I have sprouts a plenty!!!

Even before I got ducks I was using pine shavings to help grass seeds sprout. It is the only way I have been able to get it to grow without the seeds frying in the sun or getting eaten by birds.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Mine evidently were too rich. I have burned leaves on my sansaqua after putting them on there. Nothing else seems bbothered by it. But yes I use mine but carefully around plants that are estabblished.
    I would not use them close the house, all mulches except cedar can draw termites in. Jean

7. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    i dont use pine, i use naitive tree grindings from tree trimmer trucks, and we use it as mulch in the garden on vegetables and around palm trees cuts down on having to water as much and added benefeit of poo, just be cautious at first as chicken doo can burn the hell out of tender/ nitrogen sensitive plants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by