Does anyone use sharp sand as recommended in Charles Week's book?

Sometimes called "SWEET PDZ" its similar to STALL DRY for horses.

I used PDZ - then switched to stall dry as I can't find PDZ here.

my coop is a sandy floor, no wood no anything but sand, there is about a bag full of pine shavings in there, the coop is big so its still more sand than anything.....

was just luck of the draw for us, the coop was a storage shed, and it came that way
lol.png
its nice for my girls - they can have a dust bath mid winter, or if its raining... they love it - but they do dig holes all over the place!

Sweet PDZ isamazing! You can google it and find info on it from the company, but I will tell you I use it in the brooder and stir it up in the shavings. It takes the smells away and helps with the water spills from the ducklings.
Now the really impressive thing PDZ has done is give us back our fresh, clean indoor air!!
Not only do we have a VERY hard to house train puppy, I have a SLOB of a boy dog that thinks any and all corners are fair game! I swear if he was a kid I just know he wouldn't even try to aim! Heck he would probably tinkle in the living room plants.

So on all puddles and old places I cover with Sweet PDZ and let it sit. Soon I sweep it up and breath deep again. It has worked wonderfully for both chicks and dogs!

I also use DE-diatomaceous earth in with the chicks because it is so good too.

I don't know anything about the sand but it sure is interesting hearing about new things.

I use sand in my coop on the floor and then a layer of coastal hay. Under the roost I have a sand pit and I scoop it daily like a cat litter box. I just add sand as needed and some stall dry to it once a month. The sand on the coop floor I replace once or twice a year as needed. Then I change out the hay every other month or so. Been doing that for years now.

Planning to on quail, just purchased the book egg farming in california after hearing about it on this site nearly read it all but their are great ideas. The book is a little biographical at first and had me worried about the type of book I had bought.

Back
Top Bottom