Does anyone use straw as bedding?

mamaginabean

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
MI
I'm so sorry if this is a stupid question- but does anyone use straw as bedding? And why not? Where do you get the pine shavings? I can get a bag from Meijer, but it's marketed for small critters like rats and guinea pigs and is kind of spendy- there's got to be a cheaper source. Thanks in advance!

I use straw for my grown birds. The shavings are cheaper at a farm/feed store. I go to southern states or tractor supply.

But I LOVE Meijer....miss it terribly since we moved to NC. Nothing here but Walmart and food lion!!!

For inside the house for use in brooders I always will pay the $ for pine shavings it's well worth it for the chickies! Now I also always use straw in the outside coops for bedding & floors. In my mind straw is not only cheaper but it is also good on the feet to block excess moister. But I always use hay in the nesting boxes.

I used it in the past but have since switched to wood shavings.More expensive but completly worth it.Our coop doesn't seem to get as stinky,easier to clean,less bugs.Mites can hide in the straw.Eggs are cleaner when I collect them.List goes on and on but you get my point.Just try it and I swear you wont go back to straw:)

I have switched from wood chips to mainly straw for my chicks and goslings/ducklings.

The chicks do fine with it (they don't seem interested in eating it, just digging in it). The goslings/ducklings on the other hand chow down on it. As a result, I bought some good quality hay that I mix with the straw. The chicks are fine with this and try to find some seeds in it while the goslings/ducks eat lots (come to think of it, I think all they do all day is eat, drink, and poop!). In fact, I have to completely change the waterfowl part of the coop every two days and on the odd days all the straw around their water. Messy (but cute) birds!

I did up the chick starter to 20% protein to ensure they get adequate protein, and i made sure they have grit to help digest any roughage they eat. I don't know if its necessary with the chicks, but the waterfowl definitely need grit with all the straw they consume.

The wood chips I bought (only pine, no cedar which can make them sick) from Tractor supply. I think it was something like $4.85 for a big, compressed bag of it.

Last edited:
I use wheat straw, and rake it out, compost it every 2 weeks. Works well for me, and keeps the compost pile happy.

Back
Top Bottom