Does artificial lighting affect molt?

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
I have a 25w light in my 8' x 4' coop that is on a timer. I have it so that it turns on at 5am, giving my chickens apx 13 hrs of daylight. ( was 14, but the days are getting shorter, and I haven't adjusted the timer yet) My first question is, is that enough light, since their egg laying has still decreased? Also, will having the light on affect them going into a molt? I thought that chickens start to molt as the days shorten, and I'm wondering if the extra lighting is messing with that. I have 8 chickens,and aside from my rooster loosing his "pony tail" feathers, as I call them, about a month ago, no one is molting as far as I can tell. Thanks for any input!!

I have 3 hens that are just about 2 years old, and 5 that are a little over 8 months. Surprisingly, it is two of the older two that still lay pretty consistantly, one still almost everyday.( one hasn't laid in forever, not sure why) Now that I think about it, the younger ones may be too young for a molt? I am wondering about the older ones though. When I got the older ones at a year old, they had just finished up a molt, with one still in the tail end of hers. That was before Halloween. So far, no sign of any molt this year.

Back
Top Bottom