Does breed or Roo change egg shell color???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kudzu vine, Jan 17, 2012.

1. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    If you have a roo that is RIR and a hen that is Maran (known for the chocolate colored eggs) will the egg color remain dark or more red? Know what the chick would look like - unknown. Question is the egg color. Posted this on homesteadingtoday and thought I would ask you experts. I think the egg shell color is produced by the hen...I think...thanks

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is very hard for most birds sold as Marans (it is always Maran"s", even when speaking of one bird) to achieve the required egg shell color required to even be considered a true Marans. Crossing with an RIR would likely further dilute that, ime. Some RIR lay a fairly medium to light colored brown egg anyhow.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not an expert by any means however the egg color gene is carried by the male and female. Just girls lay eggs and boys don't.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    When you breed a RIR rooster to a marans hen, she will continue to produce the darker marans egg. If you hatch those eggs, you get a combo of the colors. THe marans egg is actually dark because of a layer of paint applied to the out side of the egg. Other breeds like RIR make the egg the same color inside to outside. You should get a brown layer painted on the outside of the egg in addition to the shell color.

If you are looking for a really interesting egg, cross a maran and a blue egger and the blue/green egg is painted with the brown and looks olive! If you hatch a few and breed to a marans again, you get a dark olive.

Hope this helps.

PS. THe paint scratches off.

5. kudzu vine

kudzu vine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Olive Branch MS
    chicken obessed - I wondered what that was on my hands! Thanks so much for replies. After I posted I started thinking about it. Makes sense. That was one of those "stupid" questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by