Does broody give any signs that eggs are about to hatch or are hatching?

No babies yet, but my Cochin just went broody 4 hours ago! Oh boy. There are only so many coops available.

My mama hatched the first egg which I think she killed. The second one seems fine but I pulled it and put it in a box next to a heat screen (?). It probably will not survive because I don’t know what to do! Mama is acting very weird. Every time one peeps, she stands and and wants to reach under her for it. Do you remember if this is what your mama did as the eggs were hatching? I’m trying to decide whether to put the baby back and hope for the best or whether it is likely she will kill the rest based on what seems to be usual behavior. Any suggestions would be so helpful. I’m at a loss and so distraught. @kokoshka
I’m sorry to hear you lost a baby! Have you seen her peck them when she reaches under? She’s supposed to sit tight and let them hatch. Mine wouldn’t even let them come out from under her until day two. If they poked their heads out, she’d peck them to get back under. But maybe because it was April in Boston and it was in the 30s and 40s during the day... She let them come out for brief periods the day after. So, some pecking is normal as a form of communication and discipline, but not hard enough to hurt the chicks. Inexperienced moms may peck too hard and unintentionally hurt/kill the chicks though... Is this a first time broody?

I’m sorry to hear you lost a baby! Have you seen her peck them when she reaches under? She’s supposed to sit tight and let them hatch. Mine wouldn’t even let them come out from under her until day two. If they poked their heads out, she’d peck them to get back under. But maybe because it was April in Boston and it was in the 30s and 40s during the day... She let them come out for brief periods the day after. So, some pecking is normal as a form of communication and discipline, but not hard enough to hurt the chicks. Inexperienced moms may peck too hard and unintentionally hurt/kill the chicks though... Is this a first time broody?
This is her first and last time. Every time she hears a peep she freaks out. Stands up and reaches behind and under her poking furiously at whatever she can reach. She is panting so badly you would think it’s 100° out but it is only 60! I think I should take the eggs away from her. Not sure if anymore will even hatch. So sad that she killed a perfectly healthy baby. I have no incubator but can bring them inside and put them on a heat pad with a heat lamp. I have no idea what to do. I did not want to take care of baby chicks and least of all try to integrate them in with the flock. I’m so heartbroken and upset and worried. One little baby sits alone with a stand up heater made for chicks. 😢 Thank you so much for the info.

This is her first and last time. Every time she hears a peep she freaks out. Stands up and reaches behind and under her poking furiously at whatever she can reach. She is panting so badly you would think it’s 100° out but it is only 60! I think I should take the eggs away from her. Not sure if anymore will even hatch. So sad that she killed a perfectly healthy baby. I have no incubator but can bring them inside and put them on a heat pad with a heat lamp. I have no idea what to do. I did not want to take care of baby chicks and least of all try to integrate them in with the flock. I’m so heartbroken and upset and worried. One little baby sits alone with a stand up heater made for chicks. 😢 Thank you so much for the info.
That's very unfortunate. Sounds like she just doesn't quite know what to do yet. If you don't want to take care of baby chicks or integrate them with the flock (it will be even harder with just one single chick), you can give the chick to someone who has chicks of the same age who might not mind adopting another, and just let nature take her course with the rest of the eggs. That will get the whole failed chick business off your hands. Baby chicks are usually easier to find homes for than grown chickens. Whichever way you go, good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Oh no!! I’m so sorry this is happening with your broody. I have heard that that can happen sometimes though. I am so sorry it happened in your case and I hope that you are able to take care of the chick and rest of the eggs however you feel comfortable with!! I know that must be very disappointing after waiting the 21 days.

Oh no!! I’m so sorry this is happening with your broody. I have heard that that can happen sometimes though. I am so sorry it happened in your case and I hope that you are able to take care of the chick and rest of the eggs however you feel comfortable with!! I know that must be very disappointing after waiting the 21 days.
Thank you for your support. Another baby hatched in the makeshift incubator which is a heating pad set to medium (low when I start to panic that it’s too hot) and a heat lamp. Also some wet paper towels tucked into the sides of the heating pad and soft mat. Another one has been chirping in the shell since midnight and there has been a hole in the egg for several hours. It’s very disappointing, but when something bad can happen it usually happens to me, so this should come as no surprise. I did not want baby chicks at all. The worst thing is that my Cochin went broody yesterday around noon. I actually thought it was cute at the time. Now cute is the last thing I would describe that as. Hopefully she will change her mind. Again, thank you so much for all of your support and everyones advice.

Back
Top Bottom