Does culling get easier?

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
I should start by saying I'm one of those who's chickens are pets, and I have them for eggs, there's 0 intention of putting them on the table ever. That's my preference, and I totally do NOT judge anyone who does! I had to cull my first chick today...she hatched with leg problems on Sunday, and they just weren't getting better. She wasn't eating or drinking, and her chirps let me know she was in a lot of pain. I wanted to save her, I really did, but nothing seemed to help her leg no matter what I tried. I decided it was more humane to put her down. I didn't expect to be sitting here bawling my eyes out over a 4 day old chick. Does this get easier? Is it because it's my first?

I bawled my first time too. Take comfort in knowing you ended the chicks suffering and took it on yourself. Does it get easier? I don’t know about that, maybe you get used to the idea and know what to expect more? Maybe you can learn to compartmentalize it as just doing a job that needs to be done, and then don’t ever open THAT thought box?
I helped butcher rabbits this summer for the first time and I did ok, until the last rabbit- he took an extra second to go and in that second he looked me straight in the eye and I lost it! (On the plus side when my DH walked in to see me trying to butcher through my tears he said I don’t have to help with that ever again if I don’t want to)
So in conclusion, DONT EVER LOOK THEM IN THE EYE AS THEY PASS!!!

I find it's only easier if I'm unattached. I have 3 that have names and they are my pets but my others are not named for the the purpose of me not getting emotionally attached. The last one I had to cull had a name and my son had to come over and do it for me.:(
(((HUGS))) I know you made the right decision and I think it does get easier to control your emotions even though it's sad, knowing your doing whats best.

Back
Top Bottom