does dry incubation work on waterfowl eggs?

feardom992

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
san francisco
I've read an article about dry-incubation as well as a few threads and want to try it, but they all seem to refer to dry birds. Does anyone know or have tried the method for waterfowl? I'm guessing it wont work because mother ducks/geese wet their eggs.

I dry-incubate all my duck eggs. I live in a marshy, densely wooded, humid area, and running my forced-air incubator (Brinsea Octagon 20) dry, the humidity stays around 30 - 40%. At hatch time, I add water and bump the humidity as high as I can get it, around 70 - 80%.

So, I've been having very good results dry incubating duck eggs, but I can get away with it because it's so humid here - the ambient humidity in my house is always hovering around 65%, and we're almost always running dehumidifiers to try to get it down.

I hatched 12 mallard ducks a few years ago, and was unaware that you where supposed to keep moisture in the incubator.
idunno.gif
When it came time for them to hatch, they did - but it was very hard for them. Doing research online I found it was because of the low humidity. We lived in a dry area to, so again like Annaria had said it might just have to do with with where you live. Hope this helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom