Does EE egg color change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I could have sworn that of the 4 of my EE's, 2 of them laid pink and the other 2 laid green eggs for several months. Just this past week I'm getting 3 green eggs. Do the colors change?[​IMG] My DD is hoping so because she would like to see a more blue egg.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    No, the egg colors do not change. If they lay green, they always lay green. I have had some EEs that the SHADE of green fades a bit, but it's still green. More likely you have a new layer!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with Wynette. The colors don't change but the shades of colors can.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Pink eggs are kind of odd though... If the hen was laying very lightly tinted eggs on a cream egg base they might look pink and then if the shade darkened as she laid more they might look more green. I have japs that lay pink eggs. Put that with my EE that lays very light blue and I probably wouldn't see the colored egg tint at first.

5. hottexaschick

hottexaschick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Collin County, Texas
    I have two EE's that I have been getting two long thin pink eggs from since they started laying last month. But today I got one pink egg and one olive green with dark green spots.
    My kids hope this keeps up.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by