Does EE shank color tell if they will lay green, blue or brown eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickerdoodle, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I notice EEs have various shank colors (they are mixed breeds after all) and wonder if the color of the shank gives a strong clue to the egg color they will lay? My EE, Agnes has very green shanks and I was hoping she would lay a color other than brown. I'll still adore her anyway but its fun to get a different color isn't it? I bet I'm not the only one who wants to know!

Could you tell me what color your EEs shanks were as a pullet and what color egg she lays? [​IMG]

Agnes at 13 weeks of age:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    She's real pretty [​IMG] but no leg color isn't a good indication to egg color.We have many EE's with slate legs-true Ameraucana's have slate and we have lots of them here that we use.We also have some yellow legs on an EE project that I'm working on..I want yellow legs on these they also lay blue eggs-I'm crossing with white We actually have very few with green legs...They also claim that the comb is an indicator..straight combs will seldom lay colored eggs-not so they will lay colored eggs here hens colors vary but I don't have hardly any of the more common colored ones-like your pretty lady.Mine are all bred to produce unusual colors and patterns..I just like different [​IMG] I have never had an EE that lays any color other than mint or light blue no matter what it looks like-knock on wood!
    so lets see green legs colored eggs
    slate legs colored eggs
    yellow legs colored eggs
    straight comb colored eggs

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

2 w/yellow legs green eggs
    1 w/yellow legs brown eggs
    1 black legs blue eggs (this on is a black leghorn/EE cross)

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    There is no relation between shank color and egg color.

But blue egg gene is linked to peacomb.

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    My araucanaXpekin have black legs and the egg is a dark blue/green colour.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have 3 EE/Spangled Russian Orloff mixes that have yellow legs. Two lay green eggs and one lays a pale brown.

[​IMG]

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Quote:That's a nice looking bird, regardless of egg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by