Does egg shape determine gender??

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I received some fertile and extremely long, oblong eggs in the mail today (have never seen eggs like this before in my life) that I had ordered. I did a quick search and one of the first things that came up was the following article "How to Choose Fertilized Chicken Eggs" by J. Mulder and O. Wollan. It is extremely dated, January/February 1974. I'm a total newbie to this whole amazing chicken thing, but is there any truth to this?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...ed-chicken-eggs-zmaz74zhol.aspx#axzz3KCN1XsFo

Please enlighten me. =/ It doesn't seem to make much sense, but I also don't know a whole lot about selecting fertile chicken eggs. Surprised it showed up within the top three or four of my search...?

barnie.gif

Sorry, I don't buy it. That was a single article bawed on a very small sample.

It doesn't even make sense. Some hens tend to lay more oval eggs and some more rounded ones, rooster or no rooster, just as some tend to lay speckled, rough shelled, etc.

Also, seems like it would have come up in one of those hatchery visit documentaries I've watched.

Last edited:
It's an old and well known wives tale. Some people still believe it today, most chicken experienced people will tell you it's no more reliable that the dangling a chick by the neck or using a straigh pen on a string. Maybe if I do another hatch I'll keep track of my "pointed ones",

Back
Top Bottom