Does Every Flock have a Pecking Order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Jan 21, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    When I show off my girls, people ask me what the pecking order is. I don't really think they have one. There are only 4 of them and they have plenty of space. They all have access to eat and drink at the same time so I don't feel like they compete with each other. I don't notice any pecking or shoving to signify an order.

Just curious what others thought who also have a small flock. [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If they don't compete then they have the pecking order established so there is no need for pecking. Everyone must know there place [​IMG]

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Yes, every flock has a pecking order, but often the owner doesn't even know it. How old are your birds? They could be too young to start pecking and such.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I had 4 hens and wondered whether there was a pecking order, as I never noticed one. Everyone seemed to get along just fine. One of my hens died and the smallest of my hens overnight became the dominant one, pecking the others away from the food until she ate and picking "her" spot on the roost. My hen's death shook up the pecking I never knew existed.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. The pecking order starts from day one in the brooder. If it is finely tuned and in good order, the owner may not even be aware of it, but it's there alright.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think pecking order is established immediately after hatch. Signals of aggression and submission often / usually more subtle than actual pecking making order for human observer difficult to detect.

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Same thing happened to me! And the successor is much more "pecky" than her predecessor. I'm nervous to house my three younger pullets with her, they are almost the same size now. I guess I just need to put them all together, and let them sort it out, huh?

8. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I have my EE that when I throw grain she gets her own spot and no one goes near her,or they will be pecked!everyone else just digs in where ever they find space

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My original five girls got along so well that it took me FOREVER to figure out pecking order. Mine was really odd too, because nobody was at the very bottom; sounds strange, but each of my lower three girls was above a different chicken (A above B - B above C - but C above A) [​IMG] So pecking order definitely comes in different shapes/sizes...lol. Just be happy for the harmony [​IMG]

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Yep, the "pecking" part can be a confusion- it should really just be order. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by