Does everybody like the look of Silkies?

No silkie fan here either, I love regular chickens. When I was looking for barred rock chicks at the feed store the clerk actually told me I would do better to get Silkies!! I told her I was glad she loved her chickens but that wasn't what I was looking for!
smack.gif

I've had visitors who downright disliked the look of silkies(and I have the good, super fluffy show stock..). One even thought they looked 'gross'.

Have heard of owners/breeders of hard feather regard silkies as not 'real chickens'.

So no not everyone likes them.. although they are popular for the 'fur' and people definitely tend to put them on a different standard than non-silkies.. for example an aggressive silkie roo(THEY HAPPEN! Not so rare either!) is simply 'defending his girls/possessive of his girls/gentleman' while a non-silkie roo showing the same behavior is spoken of in less than flattering terms. Another one is people simply refuse to eat silkies.. they are chickens....... don't get that one except for people being unable to get the 'fuzz' plus the dark meat(still tastes just like chicken).

As for broodiness, it is true they are quick to go broody. But, IMO, they are NOT the best broodies. Nor the best mothers either. Heck, silkie crosses usually are much better at both than pure ones.

Last edited:
No, I don't, but everyone knows that. I really do not like the wispy feathers if you can call them that. I dont like the walnut comb or the feathered legs. Each to his own. Used to be, I didnt like birds with beards and muffs, but after my friend sent me some Ameraucana eggs to hatch and I was around them and experienced their personalities, I love them. Ameraucanas, however, do not have feathered legs and they do have regular feathers. There's a chicken breed for just about everyone!

Not fond of Silkies here.
Also can do without the Turkens & Frizzles or Show girls.
Guess I'm just a plain ole chicken girl.
But I will defend your right to love whatever breed you find appealing.
big_smile.png

How boring would it be if we all liked the exact same things.

I'm not a fan of silkies or show girls either, but I can see why so many people love them. I don't have anything against them, they're just not for me. I think for me it's that I like to see a chickens eyes. I'm not a big fan of birds that can't see where they are going.

UC

Back
Top Bottom