Does Everyone Have This Much Waste???

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
I am new to BYC. We have 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 week old chicks. 34 Total! I am constantly filling up their feeders. They go crazy of course when it is filled and always seem to pick the pellets first. There is always a large amount of "grainy" seed left in the bottom of the feeders that they don't ever seem to eat. This seems like a lot of waste. Is this normal? Should I be leaving it in there for them to eat or not filling the feeders until it is gone???

Thanks for the help!

I bought some feed, and it was like powder! :mad: They wouldnt eat, but they did, cause thats all they had to eat. They will eat it if they have to, but they would rather not.

Are you feeding them a starter/grower crumble?...I never have a problem, mine are kept filled 24/7....I have 13 right now in the brooder...might want to add another feeder...

There are always fines at the bottom of a feeder or bag of feed, I just mix it back in with the new feed....

Last edited:
You can also make a warm mash with the leftover powder and warm water. Just make enough for them to gobble up at a time. Or you can mix yogurt with it to make a thick paste.

Before I refill my feeder, I clean off a spot on the floor of the brooder and dump the crumbs out. They go crazy over it, scratching all around.

For the round mason jar type feeders I take a 1.2 qt rubbermaid plastic bowl, and put a 14 oz ziploc plastic bowl inside it. So it's a bowl inside a bowl. Then I place the feeder on top of the inside bowl and all the wasted feed falls between the two bowls. Then I just dump it back in the jar each day. It's about half of the jar full that gets spilled, so this is the only way I've found to stop the waste.

Are you feeding them chick starter? Chick starter comes in crumble form. With starter there may be some dust, but overall, it's not something I've ever had a problem with. I use a long tray for feeding just because of the number of chicks I'm feeding. I also have feed available to them 24/7. And YES, they do eat alot.

Quote:
I love this idea. I am going to try it tomorrow with the left over powder from the night. It least it can be used for something. I just hate to throw it away everyday....thanks for the idea!
smile.png

I am using chick starter and have both the round mason jar feeders and the long feeders. Maybe I will just start using the long feeders.....

Thank you for the information!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom