Does first litter, 8 new buns today

dewey

Songster
9 Years
Nov 9, 2010
north of eternity
big_smile.png
Maybe more, I'll check closer tomorrow morning but I counted at least 8 big kits with full round tummies. She did well. Today was day 31 and I expected them tonight sometime but she had them around noon, about 2 hours after I last checked. When I checked this evening the burrow under the kits and surrounding was lined with some fur but with none covering them, so I collected it and covered them. She's alone in a totally enclosed dimly lit mini barn for now until she's moved to the main rabbitry with the other rabbits. I heard then saw her around noon today tossing her wood toys around the cage with quite gusto (after being very still & silent for several days) so I figured she'd kindled. Always anxious with first time does and I hope for the best. So far, so good.
smile.png
I'll try to post pics tomorrow.
bun.gif
bun.gif

Thanks!

9 fat kits upon inspection this morning and cleaning it up a bit. All well fed and vigorous. 2 pics below. The doe's all good, busy eating and playing with her toys. Hope all continues along well.

It's just a small set up here with a main rabbit barn 9x9 and an as-needed one 8x12 with 6 rabbits for now, growing out for breeding (all NZW). I'm major space cramped here. LOL

It'd be great to know what you both and others do for your rabbitry. And all the best with your 2 litters in Jan!

Litter pic
71512_litter_of_9_12_13_10.jpg

Smaller kit
71512_kit.jpg

Re: Dim lighting...
big_smile.png
Just wanted to mention that the smaller barn housing the doe & new litter right now is brightly lit during the day and has doors open with lots of sunshine and ventilation...the dim light I mentioned in the first post is usually a night-time only light (dim but much brighter than a standard night light), used this time when I wanted to close the door for privacy for her. All the rabbits have night lights over night.
cool.png

Last edited:
Pic update...Here's a photo of the litter when they were 6 days old (they're 8 days old now) just before being moved to the main rabbit barn. The doe's been really good so far and the kits all seem healthy, although 1 remains much smaller than the others. I was a bit concerned about moving them a week earlier than intended but the doe took it without issue. There's a couple of buns from 2 other older litters that we may decide to show, and hopefully later there will be a few others to choose from from the other 4 does to be bred in spring.

6 days old
71512_litter2_6_days_old_12_21_10.jpg

Thanks so much. I'm pleased the doe is doing a good job so far the 1st time out. Sometimes 1st or even 2nd kindlings do not go too great, yet go great after that. It's nice when things are heading the right direction the 1st time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom