Does fruit really stop their egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SassyKat6181, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I gave the girls 1/2 of a small watermelon as a treat a few days ago. Looking through the Meyer Hatchery catalog today, it says not to feed fruits to layers as it will stop their egg production. Is this true? They've only been laying about a month and now I'm worried.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Never heard of this, and a hatchery is saying it? Why don't you let us know whether you saw a difference?

3. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    This is a question that's been on here multiple times... I'm not sure if there's a certain fruit that might not be good for them, but I give mine fruit all the time and still have so many eggs I don't know what to do [​IMG] we will buy the birds watermelons during the summer just for them, grapes, oranges, apples... They LOVE it and have never stopped laying for me. If I believed in conspiracy theories I'd say they are being paid by feed mills to say that [​IMG] In all seriousness though, it has never affected my birds.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't think it's true and Meyer is the only source I can find for this idea.

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks!

6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Mine get strawberries, apples, bananas and lots of other fruits.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Mine get fruit a few times a week and still lay lots of eggs. I think it must be a myth.

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    mine eat tons of fruit (well maybe not tons, but...) and even my 2 1/2 year old hens lay an egg almost everyday.

9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    mine love apples, and melons

I have read that it's not recommended to give them citrus, because too much vit C can block the absorbtion of protein therefor causing them to take longer to form an egg

do a search here and see what you come up with.

HTH!

10. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    I seriously doubt that is true if you consider all the chickens from the past free ranging and raiding gardens and roaming orchards having a feast. Surely if it were a problem, free range would not be an option. I would question the source of this information and demand proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by