Does God care if we are happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
an illustration. Imagine that a teacher is telling his students how to solve a difficult problem. A clever but rebellious student claims that the teacher’s way of solving the problem is wrong. Implying that the teacher is not capable, this rebel insists that he knows a much better way to solve the problem. Some students think that he is right, and they also become rebellious. What should the teacher do? If he throws the rebels out of the class, what will be the effect on the other students? Will they not believe that their fellow student and those who joined him are right? All the other students in the class might lose respect for the teacher, thinking that he is afraid of being proved wrong. But suppose that the teacher allows the rebel to show the class how he would solve the problem.

Jehovah has done something similar to what the teacher does. Remember that the rebels in Eden were not the only ones involved. Millions of angels were watching. (Job 38:7; Daniel 7:10) How Jehovah handled the rebellion would greatly affect all those angels and eventually all intelligent creation. So, what has Jehovah done? He has allowed Satan to show how he would rule mankind. God has also allowed humans to govern themselves under Satan’s guidance.

The teacher in our illustration knows that the rebel and the students on his side are wrong. But he also knows that allowing them the opportunity to try to prove their point will benefit the whole class. When the rebels fail, all honest students will see that the teacher is the only one qualified to lead the class. They will understand why the teacher thereafter removes any rebels from the class. Similarly, Jehovah knows that all honesthearted humans and angels will benefit from seeing that Satan and his fellow rebels have failed and that humans cannot govern themselves. Like Jeremiah of old, they will learn this vital truth: “I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.”—Jeremiah 10:23

I can't recite any Scripture at the top of my head, but I will say this. God does want us to be happy. It is important to him, just look around. He made trees to shade us from heat and to supply us with oxygen, he gave us water to quench our thirsts, he gave us food to fulfill both the body and the soul, I think he did that out of love; out of trying to give us happiness.

Last edited:
Why, though, has Jehovah allowed suffering to go on for so long? And why does he not prevent bad things from happening? Well, consider two things that the teacher in our illustration would not do. First, he would not stop the rebel student from presenting his case. Second, the teacher would not help the rebel to make his case. Similarly, consider two things that Jehovah has determined not to do. First, he has not stopped Satan and those who side with him from trying to prove that they are right. Allowing time to pass has thus been necessary. In the thousands of years of human history, mankind has been able to try every form of self-rule, or human government. Mankind has made some advances in science and other fields, but injustice, poverty, crime, and war have grown ever worse. Human rule has now been shown to be a failure.

Second, Jehovah has not helped Satan to rule this world. If God were to prevent horrible crimes, for instance, would he not, in effect, be supporting the case of the rebels? Would God not be making people think that perhaps humans can govern themselves without disastrous results? If Jehovah were to act in that way, he would become party to a lie. However, “it is impossible for God to lie.”—Hebrews 6:18.

God will help you to endure suffering

What, though, about all the harm that has been done during the long rebellion against God? We do well to remember that Jehovah is almighty. Therefore, he can and will undo the effects of mankind’s suffering. As we have already learned, the ruining of our planet will be undone by the turning of the earth into Paradise. The effects of sin will be removed through faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice, and the effects of death will be reversed by means of the resurrection. God will thus use Jesus “to break up the works of the Devil.” (1 John 3:8) Jehovah will bring all of this about at just the right time. We can be glad that he has not acted sooner, for his patience has given us the opportunity to learn the truth and to serve him. (2 Peter 3:9, 10) Meanwhile, God has been actively seeking sincere worshipers and helping them to endure any suffering that may come upon them in this troubled world.—John 4:23; 1 Corinthians 10:13.

Some might wonder, Could all this suffering have been prevented if God had created Adam and Eve in such a way that they could not rebel? To answer that question, you need to remember a precious gift that Jehovah has given you. Free Will

Quote:
There was no other Q in the OP.

Before she went to bed last night, she posted "Are you unhappy with God's plan?" Something like that. Most of us agreed that No, we are unhappy with OUR plan.

Another good source if you know the basis of the verse you are searching for is Bible.com.

I must say...for many years I was unhappy with God's plan for me. I had my own plans. They weren't much and I didn't think they were too much to ask and I felt they were the only plans that would make me happy. I was angry at God for many years about not getting my plan in life. Consequently, my life wasn't going very well. It usually never does when God knows what is best for us and we want something completely different...sort of like children and parents, you know?

In effect, I was telling God that I am His and He had control over my life but I kept wrenching the steering wheel out of His hands to try and go my own way.

In the Bible it says that our own understanding is so little compared to God's wisdom and understanding of the world. I guess that is where I needed to learn faith in His understanding and plan for me. One day I was at the bottom of the end of things and finally gave God control of the wheel.

Things have been so much better since then and I don't have to worry about all the little stuff...or the big stuff either. So much better to have someone with more wisdom than I plotting the course of my life. I guess that is where happiness comes in...finally letting go and letting God.

Men who believe they are wise would call that a simple-minded view of things and say that one is ignorant to not want control over their own lives. The truth is that most of us make a real mess of things when we try to control our lives...then we have the audacity to blame God.

Quote:
Before she went to bed last night, she posted "Are you unhappy with God's plan?" Something like that. Most of us agreed that No, we are unhappy with OUR plan.

Another good source if you know the basis of the verse you are searching for is Bible.com.

I must say...for many years I was unhappy with God's plan for me. I had my own plans. They weren't much and I didn't think they were too much to ask and I felt they were the only plans that would make me happy. I was angry at God for many years about not getting my plan in life. Consequently, my life wasn't going very well. It usually never does when God knows what is best for us and we want something completely different...sort of like children and parents, you know?

In effect, I was telling God that I am His and He had control over my life but I kept wrenching the steering wheel out of His hands to try and go my own way.

In the Bible it says that our own understanding is so little compared to God's wisdom and understanding of the world. I guess that is where I needed to learn faith in His understanding and plan for me. One day I was at the bottom of the end of things and finally gave God control of the wheel.

Things have been so much better since then and I don't have to worry about all the little stuff...or the big stuff either. So much better to have someone with more wisdom than I plotting the course of my life. I guess that is where happiness comes in...finally letting go and letting God.

Men who believe they are wise would call that a simple-minded view of things and say that one is ignorant to not want control over their own lives. The truth is that most of us make a real mess of things when we try to control our lives...then we have the audacity to blame God.

Those that blame God after the dust settles are not truly connected to God. When my dust has settled, I always see the blessing. And in that vein, please PRAY FOR US!!!!!! HAHAHA!!! We have a 3 year old that will hopefully soon be under our charge and he is a danged handful plus 10 chips.

Once again I must thank you all. Despite very different perspectives everyone has managed to keep it civil. Thank you for keeping this thread open. It has been helpful.

Quote:
This whole thread is awesomeness!!!! I am really,REALLY, surprised no one has ruined it. There is another thread going about beliefs and it is going good too!!!! Must be a God thing. Time of year.......

Yeah, I really didn't think it would last through the night. It has now lasted over 24 hours. That might be a BYC record.
tongue.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom