Does heat determine gender?

emsevers

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Carlton, OR
I was dropping my friend off at her parents house and her dad came out and saw that I had some quail in the car. I was taking them to drop off at my FIL's house because he wants to raise them. Anyway we got to talking and he said that the heat during incubation determines the sex. He said if it's on the warm side or the cool side could mean you have more of one gender than the other. I was just wondering if there's any truth to this. It sounded far fetched to me but then again I don't really know anything about it? I just assumed that it was predetermined like with human babies. I didn't want to be rude and challenge him on the topic but now I'm really curious.

yuckyuck.gif
I wish I had thought of something like that at the time. I was just so surprised at what he was telling me.

i read 99.5 for more pullets and 100 degrees for more roos but I dont know if there is any truth to it, wonder if it is true though, I set my rcom to 99.7 figuring I would split the difference and have had good results with hatching but dont know the sex of any of them yet.

Im not sure but I don't think crocs are temp. sexed only certain lizards and geckos such as beardies and leopards. But no you cannot pre-determine chicks sex with temp. changes.

i just have really bad luck... 9 for 9 roos out of one batch! or you could say good luck if i was looking for roos.
i found this
Nile crocodiles have Temperature-dependent sex determination (TSD), which means the sex of their hatchlings is determined not by genetics, but by the average temperature during the middle third of their incubation period. If the temperature inside the nest is below 31.7 °C (89.1 °F), or above 34.5 °C (94.1 °F), the offspring will be female. Males can only be born if the temperature is within that narrow 5-degree range

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom