Does heat determine gender?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Feb 22, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was dropping my friend off at her parents house and her dad came out and saw that I had some quail in the car. I was taking them to drop off at my FIL's house because he wants to raise them. Anyway we got to talking and he said that the heat during incubation determines the sex. He said if it's on the warm side or the cool side could mean you have more of one gender than the other. I was just wondering if there's any truth to this. It sounded far fetched to me but then again I don't really know anything about it? I just assumed that it was predetermined like with human babies. I didn't want to be rude and challenge him on the topic but now I'm really curious.

2. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    No...sorry...but turn it around on him.....girls are hot and boys have cold feet.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    [​IMG] I wish I had thought of something like that at the time. I was just so surprised at what he was telling me.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i read 99.5 for more pullets and 100 degrees for more roos but I dont know if there is any truth to it, wonder if it is true though, I set my rcom to 99.7 figuring I would split the difference and have had good results with hatching but dont know the sex of any of them yet.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Nope, it's the hen that determines the sex of the chick.

6. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    it works for crocodiles. i am sure it is true... if you look in my brooder all i have is roos.

7. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    Im not sure but I don't think crocs are temp. sexed only certain lizards and geckos such as beardies and leopards. But no you cannot pre-determine chicks sex with temp. changes.

8. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i just have really bad luck... 9 for 9 roos out of one batch! or you could say good luck if i was looking for roos.
    i found this
    Nile crocodiles have Temperature-dependent sex determination (TSD), which means the sex of their hatchlings is determined not by genetics, but by the average temperature during the middle third of their incubation period. If the temperature inside the nest is below 31.7 °C (89.1 °F), or above 34.5 °C (94.1 °F), the offspring will be female. Males can only be born if the temperature is within that narrow 5-degree range

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  9. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i better go have a talk with my hens.... [​IMG] and everyone that i have bought eggs from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by