does it bother a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the1much, Nov 13, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

will it "mess up" my broody hen ( make her never be broody again) if i dont let her sit on her egg. she's a red game hen, and well,, she picked the wrong day ( yesterday) to go broody cause today is clean up day,, and i HAVE to move her, and its really getting cold,, but i know she can work through the cold,, i just dont want to make her so she wont go broody later on.?

Thankies allz [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have never had a problem with a hen not going broody again after being "broke" from having a broody spell. Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    Hey Jim all you might do is make her MAD but not scard for life.

4. the1much

Thankies pumpkinpups,, NC chicken man,, that helps,,, lol can ya tell its the first broody i've had,, lol,, sad,, have had birds for 2 years,, and NOW i get a broody [​IMG]
    so im off to P her off ,, her pen and coop is next in line [​IMG]

again,, Thankies guys [​IMG]

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I agree. She will probably go right back to sitting when you are done cleaning. If that is all it took to get a broody unbroody, we would all have very clean coops. [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had a broody a little while ago and I did not want more chicks - I moved her out of the coop every day and put her in the back yard, she kept goin gback to her little nest.

I finally had enough and had to remove that nest for her to give up.

[​IMG]

7. the1much

well,,, your right,,,,,she was MAD!! for a hen that would never let me touch her,,, she didnt mind touching me!!! lol
    i was wondering why she kept digging holes yesterday and just laying in them,, then after she had her egg she didnt move,,, then this morning,,, no movement,,,,, well maybe i stirred her up enough too not try to go back to it,, ill give em a few hours and go check her,, lol.

thankies guys for all the replies,,,,,,, i just didnt want her messed up in the head like her owner [​IMG]

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Is she back on her nest or did you manage to break her broodiness?

9. the1much

Quote:YESsssss ,,, she went back,,, so gonna "work" on her today,,, i think she's just lazy and wants to just sit all comfy all day [​IMG]

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I move my broodys all the time to clean up under them. They are not sitting on any eggs though. I would have thought they would get tired of sitting on nothing and give up but no such luck, both are sitting pretty, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by