Does it hurt a chicken when they land after flight?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My chickens like to meet me at our deck, which is 10-15 feet off the ground. When I come out, they like to fly off. Is it bad for them to be landing at this height? They don't free fall, they can somewhat fly. If it is bad for them, I will make sure they cant get up on the deck anymore.

I don't think so. Mine fly out of a window in the barn about 9 feet off the ground and they seem to really enjoy it. If it appears that one has injured itself from falling too far then I would stop it but as long as they seem fine I would think it would be ok.

I think it depends on the bird. As long as their wings are not clipped, they should be fine. When I was a kid, I had a pet bantam rooster. We both got a lot of exercise. I would carry him up to my second story bedroom, and let him fly out the window. When he landed, he'd crow up a storm, like he was real proud of his accomplishment. Then I'd run down, grab him and run back upstairs for a repeat performance. I don't think I'd do the same thing with a full sized laying hen, but if the hen gets up, she should be able to get down. A lot of hens will roost in trees if given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom