Does it take new egg layers a while to know to lay in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa202, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi All,

I posted last Thursday that my 16 week old EE started laying eggs. [​IMG] The first one was crushed (I wasn't looking for any yet, so it must have gotten stepped on in the 2 days it was on the floor of the coop) Since then I have gotten 2 more, one every other day, and she keeps laying them out in the middle of the coop. It's just by chance that the last 2 haven't gotten stepped on also.

So my question is...will she eventually know to lay in the nest box or do I have to intervene?

Did I mention how excited I am that I'm getting eggs???!!![​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on the eggs. [​IMG]

Have you "seeded" the nestboxes with golfballs, fake eggs or other sorta egg shaped objects to give her the idea?

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Some of mine use the nest box, several drop them in the middle of the coop floor STILL!!
    Sometimes next to the box, behind it, anywere BUT the nest box.
    Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't??? Gotta love um!!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They tend to "compete" and "companion" with other layers. Once one or two are laying in the nest, they all seem to really, really want to get in there. Sometimes, there is even two sharing the experience together. They don't seem to mind at all. I swear, but cannot prove it, that my pullets "watch" my hens and pick up the idea quickly.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Most of the hens will finally figure out the nest boxes on their own. It could be that as soon as one of them figures out the boxes, then the rest of others will follow her example. Then there are a few hens that never figure out the nest box thing.

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Mine did have some difficulty at first but soon they all got it right. Ocassionaly they still lay an egg out of the nest but this is rare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by