Does Ivermectin given orally kill scaly leg mites?

If you ivermec for mites, make sure you repeat it in 10-14 days. It doesnt kill eggs so you will have to kill any new larva that may have hatched and yes coat the legs, tea tree oil, pam, bag balm. I personally would avoid WD-40 as it's more of a risk for eating, picking and ingesting. The other items aren't really an issue if consumed. I have booted bantams and this is how I treat mine.

Be aware that some mites/lice do not actually bite the bird...they eat dead skin cells/feathers. For a systemic dewormer to kill the mite/lice, it'd need to bite the bird. So topical drops, or oral doses won't get those. (learned this the 'hard way' already) Dusting with a poultry dust or sevin dust is about the only thing that'll kill those...

Lice are said to live on the bird the entire lifecycle, so coop treatment isn't as important, I guess. Most mites live/breed off the bird...and 'attack' the bird on the roost to feed. They live in the bedding/coop and in the tiny cracks and crevices of wood, etc. Breaking the cycle in the coop is one of the most important keys for most mites.

Can't help a lot on the scaly leg mite questions (do they actually feed on the bird...or do they live under the scale and eat dead cells?)... other than avoid using vasoline or other heavy coating stuff on feathered legs. That's one horrible mess that's HARD to get clean...
roll.png
I'm not sure of the effectiveness of wd40 or Pam, etc... but they're not nearly the sticky, goopy mess of vasoline or similar produce on feathered legs!

Just a note, I was advised by a master breeder out my way, that he used the ivermectin used for horses,
he rubs it on the legs and allows it to be absorbed that way....(for worming) He liked Bagbalm for the
scaly leg mites....its thick like vaseline and has antiseptic in it. And that thread is great!!! thanks Mother Jean

Well I'm not certain WHAT worked (probably should have tried one treatment at a time), but I used Ivermectin on a d'uccle rooster my husband picked up that had a nasty case of scaly leg mites...plus he had lice. I injected as per motherjeans dosage posting into bits of bread and fed that to him. But we also soaked his feet every two days w/epsom salts and applied petrol. jelly. AND I used some spray on Adams flea and tick spray (for the lice). I did reapply the Adams at day 10. By then, his feet looked great (considering he was missing parts of two toes
sad.png
) and he had no lice. His feet still look great
smile.png

Ivermectin is extremely effective; I prefer the pour-on.

For scaley leg mites, first bathe the bird in a flea/tick shampoo according to directions, thoroughly scrub and scrape off any excessive scaley buildup, then mix about a half ml with an equal part of body oil, olive or vegetable oil and lightly "paint" the legs, making sure it gets into the scales. Continue oiling the legs daily (ivermectin added only the first time) until the bird's legs and clean and smooth; usually about a week, but in bad cases can take longer.

Ok, so if you can't eat the eggs for worming purposes if using ivermectin , then you only do that like once a year? Anything else I should be doing to/for them the rest of the time?

WD40 is in the eggs, as well, and probably worse for you than the ivermectin. I would not put any petroleum products or solvents on my birds. Read the precautions on the label. If you aren't willing to spray it on your own skin, don't put it on your hens.
Ivermectin has at least been tested on chickens and recommended by vets.

Back
Top Bottom