Does Lowering The Incubators Temperature Kill The Male Embryos?

If You Set The Incubator's Temperature 1 Degree Lower Will It Kill All The Male Embryos?

• Total voters
I left my eggs out in the office here in the barn, day time temps around 70F and night-time temps around 55F.

Have been told you can keep eggs like this on hold for around 10 days. I only kept mine a couple days as I only needed 4 eggs. All four of mine hatched, chicks are now 5 weeks old.

I wouldn't put them in the fridge but rather leave them at room temperature. How many eggs do you want to hatch? I wouldn't leave the eggs any longer than 10 days, personally I would not leave longer than 7 days - but have been reading here where people leave for up to 2 weeks.

If you only want eggs from the one hen then 7 days = 7 eggs - a good clutch.
I know how to incubate :D

Interesting - then I misunderstood your questions
(How long do I put the eggs in the fridge?
How cold does it need to be in the fridge?
How long do the eggs need to settle?)

OP wants to try different incubation conditions to hopefully influence how many chicks of what gender actually hatch.

So they are checking details of what other people have done, that supposedly resulted in more pullets and less cockerels hatching.

I have kept hatching eggs that I am collecting for incubation in an extra refrigerator used for drinks at the warmest setting it could be set. Ideally temperature should be between 45 and 60° Fahrenheit. Approximately 7 to 15°C. I’ve also used a small cooler with ice packs. Keep a thermometer wherever you decide to store them to make sure the temperature stays in the correct range. Anything lower than 45°(7) may kill the embryos. Higher temperatures and you risk that the eggs start to develop before you put them in the incubator.
I have also successfully hatched eggs that have been in the regular refrigerator at colder temperatures for several weeks, though the chance of these eggs hatching is lower. Where ever you decide to store your hatching eggs, they should be set out at room temperature for approximately 6 to 12 hours before setting them in the incubator. Good luck.😊
Hang on, for how long? (Do they go in the fridge?) Sorry for all the questions!

No worries, I’ve done as much as 10 days. Though I did throw eggs in the incubator a few times that were older and they hatched.😊
Wow! Older then 10 days...?! Whoa.... Okay, so I'll chuck them in the fridge for 1 week.

Edit: Now I've thought about it....maybe for 4 days. (In the fridge.)

Last edited:
Okay. I'm gonna try this!! In a few months though...
If they're brought into a warm humid environment cold, you run the risk if condensation, which would ruin the bloom and may allow bacteria into the egg.

Lots of factors there, but would think this is only an incubator issue - though some people use 'cold' as a way to break a broody too...

My broody is unbreakable though, so I doubt cold eggs would put her off sitting.

Back
Top Bottom