Does Lowering The Incubators Temperature Kill The Male Embryos?

If You Set The Incubator's Temperature 1 Degree Lower Will It Kill All The Male Embryos?

• Total voters
Nononono... That's not how it works. Refrigeration reduces the viability of male embryos, reducing the number that survive to hatch.
There are two different proposed mechanisms: one that kills the males, and the other that causes genetically-male chicks to develop as females and even lay eggs.

About halfway through the thread:
I learned the refrigeration method from an actual scientific study, & have been using it since. According to the study, the female chicks are genetically Male, & when bred to a rooster they will produce only males.

I think the eggs were only refrigerated for a few days before incubation though.
I haven't been able to find the actual study myself, but I've found a few news articles about it from a few years ago. Here's one example of such an article:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/can-chickens-really-change-gender/

There are two different proposed mechanisms: one that kills the males, and the other that causes genetically-male chicks to develop as females and even lay eggs.

About halfway through the thread:

I haven't been able to find the actual study myself, but I've found a few news articles about it from a few years ago. Here's one example of such an article:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/can-chickens-really-change-gender/
I know, I wasn't able to find the study again, only a news article about it.

I have kept hatching eggs that I am collecting for incubation in an extra refrigerator used for drinks at the warmest setting it could be set. Ideally temperature should be between 45 and 60Ā° Fahrenheit. Approximately 7 to 15Ā°C. Iā€™ve also used a small cooler with ice packs. Keep a thermometer wherever you decide to store them to make sure the temperature stays in the correct range. Anything lower than 45Ā°(7) may kill the embryos. Higher temperatures and you risk that the eggs start to develop before you put them in the incubator.
I have also successfully hatched eggs that have been in the regular refrigerator at colder temperatures for several weeks, though the chance of these eggs hatching is lower. Where ever you decide to store your hatching eggs, they should be set out at room temperature for approximately 6 to 12 hours before setting them in the incubator. Good luck.šŸ˜Š
Will an eskey work? My fridge doesn't go above 5:barnie :he

Back
Top Bottom