Does McMurray really have show quality birds?

gel2727

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
CT
I ordered rare breed pullets from McMurray because I like them, but it might be fun to take them to the fairs as well. In the catalog there are all these testimonials about how well their chickens do in exhibition, and some of the listings say "great exhibition bird". Are they really? I'm not talking going to big shows, just local fairs, anyone had any luck with McMurray birds?

I was just asking the same thing....

pop.gif

caf.gif

We bought some ...erm..."Derbyshire Redcaps" from them once, a few years ago....Except they weren't what I'd call Derbyshire Redcaps.
It might be easier to go to a large commercial hatchery & maybe some birds coming out of the place are nice enough. But by & large if one wants to have a better chance of getting nicer quality birds it pays to buy from a breeder.

My brother ordered chickens from a hatchery and his little girl won at the fair last year with their blue cochin. Im pretty sure they got their chickens from Mc Murray. I will double check with him and find out which hatchery it was.

I have posted the long version here is the short. Depends on the show, APA, you might get lucky, but wouldn't count on it. Small shows kids more likely, many shows always make sure kids below a certain age get something, keeps them interested.

Fairs, if the judge is 4-h trained you might do better with a good quality ISA brown or meat bird. Before people get upset, 4-h judges are trained more for marketability. I have a friend who's son ranks number 13th in the state at a recent 4-h judging contest, yet until recently he has never seen the APA book of standards.

Last edited:
Fairs, if the judge is 4-h trained you might do better with a good quality ISA brown or meat bird

That makes sense. I'm no expert on the US fairs; from what I've seen the emphasis seems to be on the condition of the chicken & the knowledge of the child.​

Back
Top Bottom