Does my brooder need a heat lamp with a momma hen in there?

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
We have 7 guinea eggs due to hatch on Saturday. We'll be gone camping until Sunday. The eggs are under a broody hen. it's been getting down into the 40's at night here in Kentucky. The brooder with the hen and eggs is inside our insulated barn. It's still chilly in there at night, but protected from wind and about 5 or so degrees warmer than the outside air.

My question is, do we need to put in a brooder lamp with the hen in anticipation of the babies being born? Or will the momma hen keep them plenty warm?

And if 40 degrees outside is warm enough for no brooder lamp with a momma hen present, what about if it drops even colder? With the weird weather we've been having, it could drop to 30-something or even less before these babies have all of their feathers.

Thanks!

i hatched 2 silkies with a momma this year and never used a heat lamp.. momma took care of it but thats just me
big_smile.png

Quote:
Something you might want to try. Last week a member here at BYC recommended to me the Cozy 'N Fresh bedding pellets from TSC. I have 22 chicks in a brooder that is in the house. I now have no smell at all from the brooder. I have to admit it was getting kinda rank in the room where I have the brooder, till I started using the pellets. The pellets do not smell of fragrance, just a fresh clean smell.

Marty

thanks, everyone, you were right! we came home on sunday from a weekend of camping in what turned out to be freezing cold temps for this time of year (in the 40's for the highs and the 30's for the lows. brrrrrrrrr!) And happily found two hatched keets snuggled in with their adoptive broody chicken mom. they're all doing just fine. funny how mother nature works.
smile.png

thanks again for putting my mind at ease!

Back
Top Bottom