Does my chicken dislike us?

chickennugget6

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2023
I have 3 chickens, and one of them, Berry, is 7 months old. Berry is very small compared to the others so she might be a runt. All the other chickens, sometimes get a little scared, but always let us come a little close to them. But Berry, she never lets us get even NEAR her. Shes always distances herself from us. Does she dislike us? Or is she just self aware and doesn’t want anything touching her?

Some chickens are just that way. I have some that fly up on my head and shoulder. There's one I can catch like a softball as she comes in for a landing. Some keep a good distance from me. They are like kids at school. Some very out going and some that keep to themselves. I could just be an inferiority complex I think.

As @LTAY 1946 said, it is probably just Berry's personality. Even when I raise six chicks at a time, some will crave attention and some would rather I just leave food -- and LEAVE!

Some eventually come around as they age. My Bielefelder is two years old, and it's only been in the past month that Liesl allows me to touch her. And, yes, food bribes were involved.

Back
Top Bottom