Does my chicken have Bumblefoot?

@Miss Lydia , your assistance is requested. :)

MrsB
I did use the clear iodine on 2 of my hens and it worked great along with soaking their feet in Epsom salt water first. I actually use a cotton ball or q tip to apply the clear iodine to the bumble and I put quite a bit on.Making sure to cover the whole bumble area. Wait a day then do this again. till scab easily pulls off with out pulling good skin with it. Once you get the scab off you can use sterile tweezers to pull out the bumble. Sometimes it comes out when you get the scab off. Wrapping to keep clean till healed is best .

I recently dealt with my first case of bumblefoot. I wound up soaking in epsom salts, removing the scab and "core" then soaking in a warm Chlorahexidine solution, straying with vetericyn, packed with neosporin, wrapped and she stopped limping later that night. Changed the bandage the next day to check for any drainage (there was none), put a clean bandage on and then removed it after about a week. She healed up very fast and very quickly. I personally will always opt for the surgical route after this experience rather than making them wait for releif through a non-invasive treatment.

How satisfying. Nothing like pulling out a lump of infection to really make your day. :)

It reminds me of watching those "satisfying" videos of cake decorating. Except with gross chicken stuff.

MrsB
Your so right
tongue.png
Good thing we have tough stomachs after caring for a really juicy bumble your ready for anything.

Last edited:
I recently dealt with my first case of bumblefoot. I wound up soaking in epsom salts, removing the scab and "core" then soaking in a warm Chlorahexidine solution, straying with vetericyn, packed with neosporin, wrapped and she stopped limping later that night. Changed the bandage the next day to check for any drainage (there was none), put a clean bandage on and then removed it after about a week. She healed up very fast and very quickly. I personally will always opt for the surgical route after this experience rather than making them wait for releif through a non-invasive treatment.
You'd rather cut open that do it the way you did?

I assume "the surgical route" in this case means just soaking & removing it without cutting into foot and the "non-invasive treatment" would be just leaving it there to heal on its own.

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my poor little bumblefoot baby! I ended up cutting the infection out of the more infected foot because the non-surgical route didn't seem to work so well. These pictures are from a few days after cutting out the infection. Nice blood flow and pink flesh. What a good sign to see! And although the non-invasive route didn't work so well on this foot, it seems to be working on the other foot, so I'm glad I only had to perform surgery on one foot. She is walking much better than when I first noticed the infection.

What I ended up using to treat her was just a warm Epsom foot soak, Vetricyn, Neosporin and wrapped with gauze. So far so good! Also, I haven't had time to do this every day, so I've only been treating her Thursdays and Sundays which may have been why the non-invasive path wasn't working so well.

I will post another update on Sunday with pictures of both feet.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give you guys an update on my poor little bumblefoot baby! I ended up cutting the infection out of the more infected foot because the non-surgical route didn't seem to work so well. These pictures are from a few days after cutting out the infection. Nice blood flow and pink flesh. What a good sign to see! And although the non-invasive route didn't work so well on this foot, it seems to be working on the other foot, so I'm glad I only had to perform surgery on one foot. She is walking much better than when I first noticed the infection.

What I ended up using to treat her was just a warm Epsom foot soak, Vetricyn, Neosporin and wrapped with gauze. So far so good! Also, I haven't had time to do this every day, so I've only been treating her Thursdays and Sundays which may have been why the non-invasive path wasn't working so well.

I will post another update on Sunday with pictures of both feet.

Looks great!

-Kathy

How satisfying. Nothing like pulling out a lump of infection to really make your day. :)

It reminds me of watching those "satisfying" videos of cake decorating. Except with gross chicken stuff.

MrsB

It was satisfying to get it all out!! However, it made me and my husband both queasy after! Glad we only had to do it on one foot!

Back
Top Bottom