Does my dog want to eat my baby chicks? ;(

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi everyone,
I hatched three baby chicks of Light Sussex two weeks ago. I have a dog (female), that is usually pretty gentle and obedient. She has never given me problems with the flock, which she was introduced to as a puppy. She has never attacked one of my big chickens.
But now she seems really too much interested in this babies. I'm not letting her interact completely freely with them because when i bring her near the chicks with the leash, she starts to pant and lick her lips, and she trembles a lot. It is a behaviour that she has never had with the old chickens and it seems predatory. (very similar to the behaviour that she has with little wild birds that she occasionally ate).
Anyway she doesn't pull too much the leash, and i am able to keep her firmly, but i'm worried that she will not accept this new chicks like part of the family and they will risk an attack in the future. How can i make her used to stay with them without wanting to eat them? Any tips? I would be really sorry if she ate one of them. Thank you so much :love

p.s i hatched with my broody silkie. The dog seems sometimes scared by the broody's intimidation but it doesn't seem to be enough

She has never attacked one of my big chickens.
But now she seems really too much interested in this babies. I'm not letting her interact completely freely with them because when i bring her near the chicks with the leash, she starts to pant and lick her lips, and she trembles a lot. It is a behaviour that she has never had with the old chickens and it seems predatory. (very similar to the behaviour that she has with little wild birds that she occasionally ate).
Anyway she doesn't pull too much the leash, and i am able to keep her firmly, but i'm worried that she will not accept this new chicks like part of the family and they will risk an attack in the future. How can i make her used to stay with them without wanting to eat them? Any tips?
Little chicks are SO much more tempting.. especially when their excited and running around. Your instinct is correct that it's predatory behavior.

Just be consistent.. tell your dog NO or EASY.. and set your expectation.. never trust them alone until the chicks are bigger.. as you dog watches them grow and becomes familiar with seeing them.. the novelty will wear off and she will settle back into your routine.

Also.. find something HIGH reward.. and treat and praise you dog.. play with it in sight of the chicks.. basically redirect your dogs attention.. and do so regularly.. practice makes perfect (not really bit it helps tons).

Don't let her focus and obsess (sit there shaking with excitement).. take training time and make her sit with her back facing them.. when she starts to obsess.. quickly redirect into a PREFERRED behavior. Don't just tell the dog what not to do but give it better options! (like a new toy??) ;)

The chicks will quickly become larger and blend better with your flock and your dog will know they are hers also!

Congrats on your babies! :wee

Best make sure she has no access, without you in control, until she figures out they are family.

Little chicks are SO much more tempting.. especially when their excited and running around. Your instinct is correct that it's predatory behavior.

Just be consistent.. tell your dog NO or EASY.. and set your expectation.. never trust them alone until the chicks are bigger.. as you dog watches them grow and becomes familiar with seeing them.. the novelty will wear off and she will settle back into your routine.

Also.. find something HIGH reward.. and treat and praise you dog.. play with it in sight of the chicks.. basically redirect your dogs attention.. and do so regularly.. practice makes perfect (not really bit it helps tons).

Don't let her focus and obsess (sit there shaking with excitement).. take training time and make her sit with her back facing them.. when she starts to obsess.. quickly redirect into a PREFERRED behavior. Don't just tell the dog what not to do but give it better options! (like a new toy??) ;)

The chicks will quickly become larger and blend better with your flock and your dog will know they are hers also!

Congrats on your babies! :wee
Thank you so much! I will try so! And let you know ❤️

Back
Top Bottom