Does my duck need a egg laying box?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welsh Ducky, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    I am new to owning ducks so I was wondering if I needed a nesting box for my female Khaki Campbell, right now I just have two ducks, My Pekin drake and my female Khaki. She hasn't started laying eggs yet but I didn't know if she needed a place to lay eggs so my drake dosnt step on them. My two ducks have their own enclosure in the back of my chicken coop, so should I just get her a separate enclosure from the drake? Because I'm expecting them to have ducklings so I would feel really bad if my drake stepped on her eggs. Help will be appreciated. :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Some ducks won't use next boxes, but I like to use them because it helps keep their eggs cleaner. You shouldn't need to separate your duck and drake just because she's laying, but if she goes broody, you'll want to provide a separate area for her to sit on her eggs. Here's a thread on duck nesting boxes that you may find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/472355/duck-nesting-boxes.

3. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I also just keep one for the hens that DO lay in there and it's much easier to keep the bedding in the box cleaner.

4. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Thanks you so much! That thread on duck nesting boxes was really helpful! :thumbsup

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

YVW. Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by