Does my duckling looked shrink wrapped

Update. She did great! The cord dried up enough and we cut it. She's a spark plug and oh my goodness her awareness is amazing.

The next egg that hatched was a Peking and it also required assistance. Its head was far back in the shell and couldn't get it past the membrane without us chipping away more shell. Unfortunately, it has a neck issue...maybe wry neck. It has a head tilt and can walk but tips over fairly easily. Reminds me of a really drunk person. It eats and drinks okay, just has a hard time not falling over. She can move her head in any position and cleans herself just fine. Its the walking...like her head tilt makes her dizzy. I added vitamin b complex to her water and added a pinch of sugar. She was hatched yesterday evening. We keep hoping she will get stronger but I can't help but wonder how long we should give her to get better before having to make the difficult decision to cull if needed. Would we give her a week from now? Two weeks? Oh and we can't put her in with the duckling that hatched before her because it keeps pecking at her. Makes me think the older duckling knows something isn't right about it. Any advice? Maybe a neck collar made from bubble wrap?
View attachment 3815413
Wonderful about the first duckling!!

As for the 2nd, personally I would give the duckling lots of time. My duckling, Speck, hatched out with neck problems. Couldn’t sit upright , kept falling on her back. It was pretty bad. I gave her vitamin B (liquid b complex) and vitamin E daily. The vitamin E was critical!! Speck is now 3 weeks old and her neck is perfect. Legs aren’t 100% yet, but getting better everyday. So it can take awhile with these guys! I would give your duckling vitamin E

It might be better to give the vitamin b on a treat instead of in the water. Harder to tell if the duckling is getting the correct dosage if it’s in the water. I soaked bits of scrambled or hard boiled egg in vitamin E and gave it to Speck. Speck hates the flavor so I have to give it spread out over several treats

Back
Top Bottom