Does my duckling need help???

nnk99

Hatching
Jul 16, 2023
Hey, its my first time hatching duck eggs, and i am worried my duckling needs help. It pipped two days ago (on day 28), but there has not been any/little progress since. I have noticed that it looks like its got the membraine stuck around it, so today i decided to carefully extend the hole to get a closer look.

To me it still look like its stuck, but it is breathing and making noise, but unable to move? I also noticed blood vessels, which i’m not sure has dried yet. I stopped and put it back in the incubator. I will insert photos, where you can see the blood vessel a little bit.

Please help, what should i do? And do the blood vessels as seen in the picture mean its not fully absored it yet?

Attachments

• 5FEA7659-4CF4-4BEE-81C3-7BDA307FE706.jpeg
    5FEA7659-4CF4-4BEE-81C3-7BDA307FE706.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 25
If I were you I’d take a damp q-tip with water and lightly moisten up the white parts slightly. Usually white and dry membrane can prevent them from getting out. I’ve had similiar situations. If there’s no active bleeding/ fresh blood, you could try helping him out, I usually try to peel a small piece or assist him if he’s still stuck but alive. Little guy needs some motivation!

If I were you I’d take a damp q-tip with water and lightly moisten up the white parts slightly. Usually white and dry membrane can prevent them from getting out. I’ve had similiar situations. If there’s no active bleeding/ fresh blood, you could try helping him out, I usually try to peel a small piece or assist him if he’s still stuck but alive. Little guy needs some motivation!
Also if you see him bleeding if you try to assist him, stop.a little Dry blood isn’t usually always a bad thing.

Okay thanks! Wouldn’t say there is active bleeding, but i noticed two small red veins. One is probably just a millimeter and the other one is a bit longer (didn’t show up very good at the picture). Just a bit scared me helping will cause him to bleed to death. Should i wait a few hours before helping again?

Okay thanks! Wouldn’t say there is active bleeding, but i noticed two small red veins. One is probably just a millimeter and the other one is a bit longer (didn’t show up very good at the picture). Just a bit scared me helping will cause him to bleed to death. Should i wait a few hours before helping again?
If he shows no signs of pain I’d say it’s safe, but I do little at a time. What I did was damp it and kept an eye on them. they slowly but surely waddled out. I’ve had some that wouldn’t come out and I’d chip a tiny piece of shell to help. Sometimes they are active and other times they’re taking a break to go back at it. so be patient. You can try to Help him every 30-40 mins to every hour. Or whenever you really feel you should. Especially if there’s no progression.

If he shows no signs of pain I’d say it’s safe, but I do little at a time. What I did was damp it and kept an eye on them. they slowly but surely waddled out. I’ve had some that wouldn’t come out and I’d chip a tiny piece of shell to help. Sometimes they are active and other times they’re taking a break to go back at it. so be patient. You can try to Help him every 30-40 mins to every hour. Or whenever you really feel you should. Especially if there’s no progression.
Generally try to do as little assisting as possible but follow your gut! If they’re not meant to hatch then they won’t, if you assist hatch it brings higher risk for complications. How is your little ducky doing now?

Generally try to do as little assisting as possible but follow your gut! If they’re not meant to hatch then they won’t, if you assist hatch it brings higher risk for complications. How is your little ducky doing now?
After i helped him and put him back, i noticed he started to push him self out. It took some time, but now he is out of the egg and resting in the incubator! He seems strong and well, but time will show. Will be able to get a better look as soon as he is dry and ready to leave the incubator. Fingers crossed everything goes well!

Back
Top Bottom