Does My Flock Have Mites?

Dec 23, 2020
Washington, PNW
Hello!
I have noticed that on some of my chickens, their scales on their feet are raised. I have started putting Vaseline on the scales, and have also purchased food grade diatomaceous earth. How do I use it? Also, is there anything else I can do? We are planning to move all of the ladies into our predator safe dog kennel while we treat them and the coop. Any helpful suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Hello!
I have noticed that on some of my chickens, their scales on their feet are raised. I have started putting Vaseline on the scales, and have also purchased food grade diatomaceous earth. How do I use it? Also, is there anything else I can do? We are planning to move all of the ladies into our predator safe dog kennel while we treat them and the coop. Any helpful suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.
[/QUOT as chickens age they will have a build up of scales this is normal. You can put scarlet oil on them and this will keep there shanks in good shape. I don’t recommend you flicking the old scales off as you can take it down to the Soft underneath like the quick of a spur. If it’s scaly mites the scarlet oil will get them, also ivermectin will kill them too. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom