Does my hen have worms?

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
My 4 month old dark brahma has been acting lethargic and not eating or drinking well the last couple of days, so she's been inside. I have been treating her for coccidiosis and having to tube feed her. She's doing pretty well today, but I saw this in a couple of her poops:

PXL_20220819_200135106.MP.jpg

Can anyone tell me if that's a worm? Or does it just look like some sort of stomach/intestinal lining?

These are what most of her poops look like, with the occasional regular pop:

PXL_20220819_200152490.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is a tubular shaped piece of intestinal lining. If she continues to excrete intestinal lining, I recommend getting her started on a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP. The green and white feces is from not eating.
Give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple of days. The rice will settle her digestive tract. The buttermilk coats intestinal lining and will help protect it from damaging coccidiosis. It is also a better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end.

It is a tubular shaped piece of intestinal lining. If she continues to excrete intestinal lining, I recommend getting her started on a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP. The green and white feces is from not eating.
Give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk to eat for a couple of days. The rice will settle her digestive tract. The buttermilk coats intestinal lining and will help protect it from damaging coccidiosis. It is also a better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end.
Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Should I stop treating her with amprolium? I just always think *coccidiosis* whenever it isn't a respiratory thing.

I have been tube feeding her recovery formula. I'll try the rice and buttermilk, but she hasn't really been interested in eating.

You mentioned an antibiotic? I do have SMZ-TMP on hand. Is there a particular bacterial infection you're suspecting?

Basically she seems lethargic but will pep up and I'll let her run around outside a bit then she gets tired rather quickly.

If the amprolium doesnt work after 5-7 days, that's when you want to start the SMZ-TMP. There are two types of coccidia that dont respond to amprolium. SMZ-TMP will take care of them. Besides, SMZ-TMP takes care of other types of bacterial infections as well.

Back
Top Bottom