Does Onion Have Herbal Properties For Chickens?

-Flash-

Free Ranging
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
*Sorry if this is in the wrong section*

Does Onion Have Herbal Properties For Chickens? Some people say you shouldn't feed it to your chickens, and other say it will add a gross tasting flavour to your eggs. What is true?

My chickens love onions!
It’s a myth that chickens can’t eat onions. But keep in mind that they can only eat onions occasionally and in small quantities.

Onions, in moderation, are healthy for chickens and are full of vitamins and minerals. Onions are good for your chickens’ colon, bone health, reducing blood sugar levels, and reducing inflammation.

My chickens love onions!
It’s a myth that chickens can’t eat onions. But keep in mind that they can only eat onions occasionally and in small quantities.

Onions, in moderation, are healthy for chickens and are full of vitamins and minerals. Onions are good for your chickens’ colon, bone health, reducing blood sugar levels, and reducing inflammation.
So a couple of leaves a week?

Save the onions for when you cook them ;)

Seriously?
Where did you read that?

Melding chickens and onions only in the kitchen.

Alliums(onions/garlic) can be toxic to chickens.
I'd never feed onions to my birds.

A good chicken ration and fresh plain water is about all chickens ever need.
They can't be that toxic. My chickens eat onion when ever it's in the scraps bucket.
They haven't died.

Melding chickens and onions only in the kitchen.

I'd never feed onions to my birds.

Forgive me for asking a question on someone else's thread but I'm genuinely curious.

I use garlic as a wormer for my chickens, not a lot just some garlic mixed with oregano and cayenne whenever I see pale combs, dirty feathers or slight weight loss. It seems to work, but have I been poisoning my chickens this whole time?

They can't be that toxic. My chickens eat onion when ever it's in the scraps bucket.
They haven't died.
It's not going to make them drop dead, thus the clarifier "can"

But there's no magic "herbal properties" that make them a good thing to feed chickens.
Garlic doesn't prevent worms nor provide any super vitamins to improve their health.

It's not going to make them drop dead, thus the clarifier "can"

But there's no magic "herbal properties" that make them a good thing to feed chickens.
Garlic doesn't prevent worms nor provide any super vitamins to improve their health.
I'm sorry, I believe it does. Garlic is a good herb. It is antibacterial, a laying stimulant and it help respiratory issues.

Back
Top Bottom