Does pecking order affect where they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbanchickens, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens In the Brooder

May 23, 2007
    My 2 RIRs have begun to lay regularly, sharing a nest, but we're still waiting for the 2 EEs to lay. They are all around 23 wks. The RIRs are dominant over the EEs. I'm wondering if the EEs will even attempt to lay in the same nest as the RIRs. Or would that be a breach of the pecking order? They all free-range so I wonder if I should continue to search the yard daily for the EEs eggs.

Any ideas?

2. Hi Urbanchickens, It depends on how game the younger ones are. I have a langshan banty who lays in her own nest away from the big girls, while the silkies are happy to share with them. Ive had bossy hens throw out others eggs too! can you try and give the EEs their own box to lay in? Perhaps go for a look too. just watch them and see where they go to when they get up in the morning. Warning :make your coffee first if you are spying. Its quite fun but the fun wears off when you have other things to do!

3. bigzio

bigzio Crowing

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would leave everyone in the coop till noon before anyone gets their freedom for the day, until the EE's are laying in the present nests. Once everyone is on the same page, and all laying where they should, then give them the hours of freedom you want to.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: