Does Permethrin Powder Kill Lice Eggs?

Petuniaismyfav

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Hello,
I treated my chickens and their coop for a mild to medium lice and mite infestation three weeks ago, using Permethrin powder. I have not seen any live lice or mites since, but there are still a ton of lice eggs on the base of my chickens' vent area feathers.

Should the permethrin have killed the eggs too?

Generally, for milder cases, do we need to re-treat?

Is it true that the pesticide shows up in the egg yolks and that you should not eat the eggs for a period of time?

Really appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!!

Welcome!
Permethrin does linger in the coop, but still you need to treat them again two weeks or so after the first time. The eggs aren't killed by permethrin, or anything reasonable out there, so get the lice as they hatch.
This product is approved for use with no egg withdrawal here in the USA, so don't worry about it.
Mary

:welcome :frow I noticed you've been a member for awhile but have not posted. I agree treat weekly. The powder works and so does the spray. I use a gallon sprayer with a wand to get the hard to reach areas and spray my coops thoroughly, walls, floor, ceiling, on and under the roosts, inside and outside of the nest boxes, every crack and crevice. Repeated treatment weekly is necessary because as Mary and aart said the dust and spray does not kill the mite and lice eggs. There is no egg withdrawal period. Initially I sprayed my birds but now I give them a dusting and put the dust in their nest boxes. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, the premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. Good luck...

Welcome!
Permethrin does linger in the coop, but still you need to treat them again two weeks or so after the first time. The eggs aren't killed by permethrin, or anything reasonable out there, so get the lice as they hatch.
This product is approved for use with no egg withdrawal here in the USA, so don't worry about it.
Mary
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it!

:welcome :frow I noticed you've been a member for awhile but have not posted. I agree treat weekly. The powder works and so does the spray. I use a gallon sprayer with a wand to get the hard to reach areas and spray my coops thoroughly, walls, floor, ceiling, on and under the roosts, inside and outside of the nest boxes, every crack and crevice. Repeated treatment weekly is necessary because as Mary and aart said the dust and spray does not kill the mite and lice eggs. There is no egg withdrawal period. Initially I sprayed my birds but now I give them a dusting and put the dust in their nest boxes. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, the premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. Good luck...
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it! I am going to buy the liquid spray b/c it seems impossible to get every inch of the coop with the powder. Thanks again.

Welcome!
Mary

Thank you! I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom