Does pumpkin equal "no eggs"??

I think its probably the daylight hour more than anything else. Do you have a way to put a light in their coop? If you could attach a timer to extend their day a little....Watch out for flying eggs! I am pretty new at this Chicken keeping thing, but it sure seems to me Happy Hens lay ALOT of eggs. Pumkins have made my chicks very happy. They are laying every day, I have 3 barred rock Hens, I LOVE them, I never expected to see them as the Wonderful pet birds they have become, and I do pet them every day! My coop is close enough to my back door they get the benefit of the porch light all night. Its getting really cold here at night, I think as long as they are dry, they are OK right?

I have fed my chickens watermelon and pumpkin and my chickens are laying.... Haven't seen a slow down from that. Now that it's getting cold and dark, I've seen a slight slow down. So, I don't think pumpkin or watermelon, or any fruit has any thing to do with getting no eggs! My chickens love getting fruit and they have gotten lots of different fruits this summer.
idunno.gif

Judy just wondering. I saw you mentioned other birds you have are going through a molt. The 4 orps you are talking about, can they see the molting birds? I know it sounds way far off. Animals mimic each other, animals get false pregnancies, one animal is aggressive the other having no contact becomes aggressive are some examples aka Monkey See Monkey Do. It may also be a factor of stress. I have no idea what could be stressing them out. I hope this helps you.

Bubba

Bubba, they can't see my molting chickens--at least not much if any. There are 2 other pens between these--each about 12 or 15 ft wide. In the 2 other pens, one has a dozen 4 month olds I hatched, that aren't mature enough to lay yet, and the other pen has a silkie hen in it. (also 3 other silkie hens, but they are each in the coop setting on some eggs, so hardly ever come out, except to stretch a bit. Their feed and water are inside. )
Chickflick--I have given my chickens some pumpkin one day, and some watermelon one day, etc. but this time, they had had all the pumpkin they wanted for a week, and they really chowed down. That is why I thought maybe they aren't eating their egg pellets and not getting what they need to lay. Anyway, it is frustrating, not to mention expensive, if they are going to eat, eat, eat and not give me any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom