does rocking mean internal pip?

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
If my egg is rocking, does that mean they HAVE pipped internally? And do they NEED to have external pip within 24 hours? Is this correct?
idunno.gif

Rocking is just caused by the movement- it could mean that the ducklings is moving in an effort to pip - so no - movement in itself does not indicate an internal pip. You can candle to see if you can make out the beak moving in the air space.

24 hours is a rough average of the time taken between internal and external pip. They can last longer at times on the air, and sometimes even expire before this time.

Quote:
When it seems like they're trying to breakthrough to the air sac, does that indicate that they're ready for lockdown? I can see one of my eggs poking its beak but haven't actually punctured the air sac.

Sorry I'm side tracking your question davekrista. Mine were rocking also and I candled to see the duckling trying to poke through.

Thank you!

Quote:
When it seems like they're trying to breakthrough to the air sac, does that indicate that they're ready for lockdown? I can see one of my eggs poking its beak but haven't actually punctured the air sac.

Sorry I'm side tracking your question davekrista. Mine were rocking also and I candled to see the duckling trying to poke through.

Thank you!

No problem... I have a couple that have poked through with the bill in the air sac and another couple that is on the verge as well... Do the ones that have already poked through have a set time where they need to externally pip?

Back
Top Bottom