Does Rooster or Hen determine gender?

Oct 2, 2021
Hi guys, this has probably been asked before, but, I'm keen to know if anyone knows!
does the Rooster or Hen determine gender?
For example in horses the stallion (father) determined the gender and some stallions throw more females than males and vica versa...
So has any studies ever been conducted? Does anyone know?

I have a hen who has had 12 pullets and 4 roosters (intensively monitored, recorded and incubated manually) to one Rooster.
Now we have put a new rooster over her and I'm keen to see if she has a high pullet hatch rate to this fellow or not!?
Chicks are only 2 weeks old from new rooster!

Hi guys, this has probably been asked before, but, I'm keen to know if anyone knows!
does the Rooster or Hen determine gender?
For example in horses the stallion (father) determined the gender and some stallions throw more females than males and vica versa...
So has any studies ever been conducted? Does anyone know?

I have a hen who has had 12 pullets and 4 roosters (intensively monitored, recorded and incubated manually) to one Rooster.
Now we have put a new rooster over her and I'm keen to see if she has a high pullet hatch rate to this fellow or not!?
Chicks are only 2 weeks old from new rooster!
In birds, it's the female that will determine the sex of the offspring and in most mammals, the male will determine the sex. Fish, insects, and reptiles are a bit more complex!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom