Does shape of egg matter?

juliette2009

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Wadmalaw Island, SC
I read somewhere (?) that you shouldn't use odd-shaped eggs for hatching...Would the pointy egg in this photograph constitute a concern for hatching a normal, healthy chick? Would the chick have enough room to turn around, and also have enough room to develop normally, without any defects? Or, should I just stick to using the more rounded, normal-oval eggs? This pointy egg is from a mature chicken, by the way.

Thanks!

29496_eggs.jpg

Juliette
Wadmalaw Island, SC

I'd use any eggs that are smooth. What you want to look out for (from what I have read) are bumps or ridges that look odd.

Someone else will know more...

The pointy ones are fine. Some of the old-timers said that pointy eggs hatched more hens an round eggs hatched more roos. Or was it the other way around? Anyway, not true but the fact that it was believed at one time tells you that pointy eggs hatch just fine.

That one's probably ok, but you don't want to try to hatch really narrow "bullet" eggs. They don't have enough room for the chick to develop properly, and move enough to hatch.

I would recommend that you read an article in backyard poultry magazine. It was written by Matt John. It was in a very recent magazine. It was called breeding for egg quality, I think. It was very informative!

Just Guessing..........with absolutely no information to support my guess..............

Perhaps the thought is:

A chick hatched from a "mis-shapen egg" will be likely to PRODUCE mis-shapen eggs.........

IF there is a genetic "predeliction" to do so.......

As I said..JUST an uneducated "guess".
hide.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom