Does she have a respiratory infection? Or something else?

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
I have a 2 year old light brown Brahma who recently I have been worried may have a respiratory infection or something going wrong. Her crop felt like there were hard separate large lumps in it, and one of her low chicken noises has seemed muted or cut short. (If that makes sense) I’ve heard of some symptoms like wheezing, difficult breathing, sneezing, coughing, dis charge from eye and nose, lethargy, distance from flock, and dimmed comb and wattles. However she is very active I hear no difficulty breathing, her wattles and comb are still a beautiful red and she is one of the first ones to meet me when I come out. It’s just that wired sound of her having a little trouble making noise and her crop that are throwing me off. And now I’m in worry mode and listening for any weird noise out of my other 9 chickens.

Questions:
How do y’all identify respiratory infection?

if it progresses to worse should I separate her from the flock?

Also currently she is still with the flock, is that ok? From what you’ve heard

Her crop felt like there were hard separate large lumps in it, and one of her low chicken noises has seemed muted or cut short.

she is very active I hear no difficulty breathing, her wattles and comb are still a beautiful red and she is one of the first ones to meet me when I come out. It’s just that wired sound of her having a little trouble making noise and her crop that are throwing me off.

Is she currently laying eggs?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty/flat.
If it's not, then report back with your findings. Read this article too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

No need to separate her if she's active and moving about. Just check her crop and we'll go from there.

Is she currently laying eggs?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be empty/flat.
If it's not, then report back with your findings. Read this article too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

No need to separate her if she's active and moving about. Just check her crop and we'll go from there.
Hey, so I went out this morning and her crop feel empty. Some of her noises sound worse though. However she’s still eating and active. Can I treat the whole flock with VetRx since it’s natural and wouldn’t due any harm?

@Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
VetRx won't hurt anything.

Does she lay eggs?
Any bloat or fluid in her abdomen?

Sometimes when a hen has reproductive problems they can make gurgling sounds too.

If she's eating/drinking and active, then it's probably not too bad.

Video of her and how she sounds may be helpful. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Back
Top Bottom