Does she sound old?

Colbeck1megane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Oundle
We bought 2 chickens at the end of May (apparently 20 wks old). One laid for the first 2 weeks, then when the weather became really hot she stopped laying and began the moult (I think, lots and lots of feathers found each day). It's now October and she hasn't started laying again, she eats and drinks but is often huddled in a corner with her head down. The other chickens are really lively and she is often left watching. We have put worming liquid in her water, keep well pellets in with her layers pellets and put mite powder in her coop plus on her. Do you think she is old or ill? or just depressed? please help

You may need to move this to the emergencies thread to get folks with deep knowledge about layers. This hen needs a thorough examination, especially at the vent. One of several possibilities is that she is an 'internal layer' but really, without explicit details it's hard to say.

I had a look round her vent this afternoon and it looked clean and clear. She often sits in the nesting boxes at night so has poop underneath but not near vent. I'm not sure what I need to look for?

She now doesn't even have the energy to jump into coop at night! Her feathers feel rough and she doesn't seem to be able to hold her wings up.
sad.png

Check for lice or mites, they will deplete a hens energy quick. Give her some honey mixed with a little water on her tongue. You might have to force it in there. I wipe it on my finger and open their beak and wipe it on their tongue. you can feel near the vent and see if you feel hardness around that area like an egg, if so, I would suspect an internal layer.

Edited to explain about lice and mites. To check for this turn the hen over and lay her feathers backward towards her tummy...look around the vent area you will either see them running around or you will see eggs near the base of some of the feathers. If so treat her IMMEDIATELY!!!

Last edited:
Thank you , I'll do it in the morning. They all went to bed an hour and a half ago and don't like being disturbed. She was only mite powdered 2 weeks ago. She looks so unhappy. Apparently today one of the other chickens knocked her over and she had to be picked up to get her back on her feet. Very worried.

Back
Top Bottom