Does some of the aggression fade?

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
Have the aggressive cockerel thing going on. He's right at 6 months. Four girls just coming into lay and 3 older ones who, for some reason, decided to stop laying all of a sudden. So, he mates all of them and I though 7 would be enough. Now, out of the blue, he'll run at me when I'm working in the yard or opening the gate to bring in water, whatever chores. The first time it caught me off guard and I booted him about 15 feet and he avoided me for several days. They pretty much had the run of the entire yard because of the heat then. Now, it's cooler and they are in their pen (1/4 acre, so plenty of room) and he'll run at me and stop, flaring his neck. I happened to have a stick yesterday and gave him a smack and he moved away, didn't even look toward me as I walked around filling feeders, scooping poops, etc. My first roo, who died, was a cuckoo marans and a very good boy. This one was one of 2 in a batch of chicks I got, when they started scrapping with each other I dispatched one, didn't matter which as they both acted the same. Now, I wonder. Will he calm down? Or should I go ahead and stop the drama? I really want a broody, so I need a boy. This one is a barred rock and what I've read say they're docile. Any thoughts? I have no problem sending him to the crockpot but, if there's a chance he'll calm down, then I'll wait. (He may make up my mind for him this weekend, as it's major cleanout before winter and I'm not the kind to be on guard all the time.)

Some mature and develop manners - others become more aggressive. Time will tell the tale, but in the meantime don't turn your back on him.

You don't need a rooster to make a hen go broody, only for the fertile eggs she will sit on, and you could always buy some of those.
I would say, he might calm down a bit, but is it worth it? You could always try again with a different one.

Have the aggressive cockerel thing going on. He's right at 6 months. Four girls just coming into lay and 3 older ones who, for some reason, decided to stop laying all of a sudden. So, he mates all of them and I though 7 would be enough. Now, out of the blue, he'll run at me when I'm working in the yard or opening the gate to bring in water, whatever chores. The first time it caught me off guard and I booted him about 15 feet and he avoided me for several days. They pretty much had the run of the entire yard because of the heat then. Now, it's cooler and they are in their pen (1/4 acre, so plenty of room) and he'll run at me and stop, flaring his neck. I happened to have a stick yesterday and gave him a smack and he moved away, didn't even look toward me as I walked around filling feeders, scooping poops, etc. My first roo, who died, was a cuckoo marans and a very good boy. This one was one of 2 in a batch of chicks I got, when they started scrapping with each other I dispatched one, didn't matter which as they both acted the same. Now, I wonder. Will he calm down? Or should I go ahead and stop the drama? I really want a broody, so I need a boy. This one is a barred rock and what I've read say they're docile. Any thoughts? I have no problem sending him to the crockpot but, if there's a chance he'll calm down, then I'll wait. (He may make up my mind for him this weekend, as it's major cleanout before winter and I'm not the kind to be on guard all the time.)
Excellent. Your not intimidated by him and it seems your quick and aware enough to give him a slap.
One of the problems I have in these what to do with my rooster threads is it's very difficult to give advice to anyone who is scared of their rooster. You on the other hand have options. You don't seem scared.

There is defending yourself and then there is trying to intimidate a rooster. For me defending yourself is great; the other isn't. When I started with chickens I gave a few roosters, lets say a foot lift to keep it pleasant. I've swatted a few in the air as well I might add.:p
Most in my experience do calm down just through growing up which we all have to do.
The first thing in my book is what's he like with the hens. If the hens like him and they're crouching for him without too much fuss then that's a big plus.
If you wear appropriate clothing you don't have to worry much if the rooster catches you out.
Stick him somewhere else when you clean the coop.
I would give him a chance.
This article might interest you.

Understanding Your Rooster.

Thanks, Shadrach. I read the article you mentioned earlier before I posted. I just hope that these initial hormones settle down. He's pretty good with all but one of the girls, she's got a gimpy leg (has had it for about 4 years now, no idea why) and she doesn't squat for him until later in the day. I assume he's anxious first thing and she doesn't like that. Okay, I'll give him a little bit and see what happens. I have a spot where I raise chicks (an old carport with a wellhouse that's good shelter, all fenced in and it has sandy soil where there aren't weeds. Good enough for him to stay while I'm cleaning, then they can have the run of the yard the rest of the day since I just cut grass and that's all the other yardwork I had planned. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom