Does the amount of nesting boxes I have affact the chance of my silkie going broody?

Chickenfrenzy1107

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
I have 17 chickens and 2 nesting boxes at the moment and all the chickens use both of them just fine without fighting but I would like to know if I need 1 or 2 more nesting boxes to encourage my silkie go broody? Please help I don't really know. No hate please

I have about 15 birds, counting a couple Silkies. I have 5 nesting boxes in total, but all of them only use two of them!! I don't think that the number of nesting boxes will effect the chances of your Silkie going broody, but I do know that her other flock-mates will kick her out or share the box with her from time to time to lay their own eggs, which can make it tricky to keep the eggs she is sitting on separate from the new ones. I usually put a small pencil "x" on the eggs she is sitting on.

I have about 15 birds, counting a couple Silkies. I have 5 nesting boxes in total, but all of them only use two of them!! I don't think that the number of nesting boxes will effect the chances of your Silkie going broody, but I do know that her other flock-mates will kick her out or share the box with her from time to time to lay their own eggs, which can make it tricky to keep the eggs she is sitting on separate from the new ones. I usually put a small pencil "x" on the eggs she is sitting on.
Thank you for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom